Celebration Preview

7 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I mean seriously.  If you have something to say, just say it.  I don’t hide behind emoticons.  

On the plus side, he gives us lots of positive reputation points, same as if they were “likes”.

DCP’s software assumes the laughter emoticon means approval and not derision.  😆

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 10:32 AM, Terri Schehr said:

I’m having the house sprayed before I move in one piece of furniture and having it done every other month.  The lawn, too. The palmettos are the flying cockroaches.  Jim met up with them when he was stationed in Beaufort, SC in the Marine Corps.  He told me all about them. 

As a habitual apartment dweller, I have a lot of experience with roaches.  I have found one product which was extremely effective, at least indoors.  They don't fly yet in Montreal.......yet is operative. 

It is called Maxforce Pro gel bait.  While I was waiting for a prior landlord to respond one time, I bought the product on Amazon.  My problem went away before the exterminator arrived.   Roaches eat the gel, go back to their roach friends, they die and then their roach friends eat them continuing the cycle of roach death. 

Guess the product the exterminator had when he came to treat my kitchen?

Unfortunately the Canadian Government has decided that we lowly citizens can't import it anymore, but exterminators can.

It is readily available in the US and comes with a lot of other optional roach control products including stick-able bait stations and a stick-able device that renders them unable to breed.

You might try it.

My experience with Palmetto bugs was in Tampa.  I came out to my rental car one morning and one somehow was upside down on my windshield with it's wings stuck to the glass - it was crying "Help me! Help me!."  After my day with the client I saw it was no longer stuck to the windshield...

How do I make you feel better about Palmetto bugs?  Thank God they aren't bed bugs.  That is an entire different kettle of fish.

How does this relate to Drum Corps?  I've always wondered if a Drum Corps has ever had to deal with bed bugs - particularly on a bus.  That would be a summer to remember.....(or forget). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Continental said:

As a habitual apartment dweller, I have a lot of experience with roaches.  I have found one product which was extremely effective, at least indoors.  They don't fly yet in Montreal.......yet is operative. 

It is called Maxforce Pro gel bait.  While I was waiting for a prior landlord to respond one time, I bought the product on Amazon.  My problem went away before the exterminator arrived.   Roaches eat the gel, go back to their roach friends, they die and then their roach friends eat them continuing the cycle of roach death. 

Guess the product the exterminator had when he came to treat my kitchen?

Unfortunately the Canadian Government has decided that we lowly citizens can't import it anymore, but exterminators can.

It is readily available in the US and comes with a lot of other optional roach control products including stick-able bait stations and a stick-able device that renders them unable to breed.

You might try it.

My experience with Palmetto bugs was in Tampa.  I came out to my rental car one morning and one somehow was upside down on my windshield with it's wings stuck to the glass - it was crying "Help me! Help me!."  After my day with the client I saw it was no longer stuck to the windshield...

How do I make you feel better about Palmetto bugs?  Thank God they aren't bed bugs.  That is an entire different kettle of fish.

How does this relate to Drum Corps?  I've always wondered if a Drum Corps has ever had to deal with bed bugs - particularly on a bus.  That would be a summer to remember.....(or forget). 

I saw a lot of cockroaches in drum corps.  One time, I woke up on the floor with one looking at me.  That got my eyes opened.

6 hours ago, Continental said:

Looping this back, having dealt with fleet vehicles it is very easy for cars and trucks to become infested with cockroaches down here, mostly the German roach not so much the Palmetto.  Any food source will attract them, fumigating is the only way to eliminate them.  A bus loaded with snacks or crumbs on the floor parked for any length of time would be a bug inviting buffet.

On 6/7/2021 at 10:32 AM, Terri Schehr said:

I’m having the house sprayed before I move in one piece of furniture and having it done every other month.  The lawn, too. The palmettos are the flying cockroaches.  Jim met up with them when he was stationed in Beaufort, SC in the Marine Corps.  He told me all about them. 

see above. If your furniture is delivered straight to your new home you should have no problem but if the truck sits anywhere down here any length of time or if you have to store your furniture before moving in, you might still bring bugs in with it.  they also love cardboard boxes in this humid environment.

In my experience Palmettos tend to stay outdoors with the exception of the occasional one that may wander in an opportunistic opening or even in/on a household item.  they LOVE residing in palm trees, shrubs and organic mulch.  Keeping said items away from around the house reduces the chances of a visitor.  

A pest control contract is golden down here, but so is a regular habit of simply applying a pesticide barrier around the perimeter of the house slab.  Boric Acid powder really works.

The absolute worst drum corps related night of roach terror for me was a one night stay in a college gym in Charlotte.  Ended up trashing my sleeping bag, mattress, duffel....

Good luck on the new home here in Floriduh.  Just remember, it is a great place to live and play, but it is home to a lot of things that want to bite, poison, or eat you.

2 hours ago, JohnZ said:

Good luck on the new home here in Floriduh.  Just remember, it is a great place to live and play, but it is home to a lot of things that want to bite, poison, or eat you.

I had a client in Fort Myers that had a large, head-office complex.  In front was a large lagoon with a driveway that circled around it leading to the main entrance and parking lot. 

The lagoon had a resident alligator which would periodically decide to sun itself on the driveway.  When that happened, cars would back up and everyone would just wait for the alligator to move.   It was actually quite funny when this happened.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnZ said:

Looping this back, having dealt with fleet vehicles it is very easy for cars and trucks to become infested with cockroaches down here, mostly the German roach not so much the Palmetto.  Any food source will attract them, fumigating is the only way to eliminate them.  A bus loaded with snacks or crumbs on the floor parked for any length of time would be a bug inviting buffet.

see above. If your furniture is delivered straight to your new home you should have no problem but if the truck sits anywhere down here any length of time or if you have to store your furniture before moving in, you might still bring bugs in with it.  they also love cardboard boxes in this humid environment.

In my experience Palmettos tend to stay outdoors with the exception of the occasional one that may wander in an opportunistic opening or even in/on a household item.  they LOVE residing in palm trees, shrubs and organic mulch.  Keeping said items away from around the house reduces the chances of a visitor.  

A pest control contract is golden down here, but so is a regular habit of simply applying a pesticide barrier around the perimeter of the house slab.  Boric Acid powder really works.

The absolute worst drum corps related night of roach terror for me was a one night stay in a college gym in Charlotte.  Ended up trashing my sleeping bag, mattress, duffel....

Thanks!  The truck is coming right to the house after traveling from Illinois.  Hopefully, uneventfully. 

11 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I saw a lot of cockroaches in drum corps.  One time, I woke up on the floor with one looking at me.  That got my eyes opened.

Six legged or 2 legged ?    :-)

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lmao… before I retired I burned my brains out at work. Last #### thing I want to do is think as part of my entertainment. I’m waiting for someone to ask what did I think of the shows “theme” so I can say “there was a theme? I liked the music… duuuuuuh”

Someone should do a show called 'Five Kick-A** Songs & some Cool Drill' 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Someone should do a show called 'Five Kick-A** Songs & some Cool Drill' 

Trying to remember which Class A All Age corps had a show title that ended with “… and don’t call us Shirley”.

I would call my show “Theme… we no need no steenking theme” and play RI Matadors wildest stuff…

• Like 1