Gosh, I should know the answer to this question...but, what year did DCA begin fully lining competition fields, as opposed to the old "50-yd, line only" marking?

Frank,

Thanks for posting the '77 Hurricanes for me to enjoy.  I was in Hawaii that year, getting Na Koa Alii Jr. corps up and running, so I missed out on many good DCA shows in the '70's.  The Hurcs had a very impressive show!  Very impressed with their entire visual execution.  Noticed they played Mancini's "Oklahoma Crude."   The USMC D&B Corps from Kaneohe, HA played that number in 1975.

And we are still no closer to knowing when the fields became lined... Hmmm...

Used to line three fields each weekend for the Brigadiers back in the late '90's and early 2000's.  So, I have two long tape measures strung out, the string line ready, little push-cart with the spray can in it.....not a line on the field yet.... and some drummers walk up and ask me, "Are ya done yet?"  Yeah, true story.😁

• 2 weeks later...

From my best memories of competing... it would have been a serious exception when I started in 1979 not to have competed on a field that wasn't marked like a football field. I can't remember not having the hashes/inserts or yard line markers for references. Maybe 1979 changed all of it? Jim!? Jim? Mike? Ben? 

I'll ask my sister who was at a lot of shows spectating (her first season on field, 1981). Maybe she has a clue. There are pics of Westshore in Lewistown, PA competing where that might also provide some clue.

There's a large set of pics of many corps on field somewhere of the 1981 Championships that would also give evidence as to 1981 at least. 

Edited by BigW