1975 Rumor

Now it's been a few years (46) but I remember a former Phantom Regiment member telling some of us of a deal that DCI made with a certain PA corps to make top 12, which they did. In fact, said corps place ahead of Phantom. Does anyone have insight to this or was this guy just making stuff up?

Looking at scores for 1975...as DCI World Championships approached PR was beating RC and then at Finals some weird changes happened, especially with Cavies. RC went from 7 to 9

"...a deal that DCI made with a certain PA corps to make top 12, which they did. "

Had I known it was possible to make such a "deal " it would have saved me and several of the corps I taught a good "deal " of time and effort over the years.

Conspiracy theories abound in drum corps, and it is ever so.

Finleyville was a very good corps in 1975, deal or no deal.

I knew it wasn't a real thing based on the guy who told us. He wanted to be a big shot and when he had the opportunity to take over our corps he merged us with a sad little corps. 

Yes Finleyville was great in 1975 although I was aSquire and Precisionaire fan and they took 13 and 14.

I was a Precisionaire fan in the 70s too. All through most of 1975 we were neck and neck with them, both scoring in the mid to high 50s. August comes and I still don't know what changed for them, but they streaked up another 15-18 pts and we stayed close to where we had been all season and totally left us in the dust. I think I read once that in 75 they were the most improved corps in points going from the 40s in June to nearly 80 in Philly. 

"I was a Precisionaire fan in the 70s too."

Me, too. The Osage Precisionnaires were probably the single most underrated drum corps in the history of the activity. One small example: Squib Cakes - They played it better than T.O.P., not to mention the other more prominent corps who tried to capture that Funk feel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Precisionnaires came to the NT Open in 74 or 75 and blew me away!!!! I wish Ken Kobold was still alive so I could have gotten a recording of that show along with Toronto Optimists. 

In 1976 when they did Evil Ways, they had a baritone soloist that wowed everyone who ever saw that show. I'd give anything know what ever happened to my old Kobold tapes. I always got the recordings of (what I thought ) the hottest corps that didn't make Finals that I had seen during the year. 

DCI owns the Kobold library. I wish I could by some recordings again because my cassette's I got from him don't work any more