1975 Rumor

I was such a newbie fan in 1975, I’m certain I never heard the rumor but I remember rumors about Kilties making finals in 78 and Troopers in 79 so a Royal Crusaders rumor would not be a shock. Rumors were a part of drum corps chatter. I do remember in 1979 Royal Crusaders were in the line up at CYO Nationals and someone in our group claimed that they should have made finals in subsequent years. Whether that was to combat a 1975 rumor I don’t know.

Knowing some of the people mixed up with RC at that time, the impression I got was that they just had everything go their way at the right time. Everything came together perfectly and lined up for them. That can also happen. The impression I also got was that they just couldn't keep the lightning they had in a bottle and they never could get things back to that level. Money, recruiting/getting the right kids to replace the ageouts- IIRC they also had a lot of expereicned kids on board that year which them aged out--- they just got very lucky.

IIRC there were a few ex-Rockets on staff with RC, as well as Norwin's director right when Norwin started to hit their stride on the national level with MBA/BoA, who was also a former Rockets Drum Major. He was one of the first of those "College edjamacated jerks who ruined the activity" according to some people who have been on DCP and pretty much said as such.

On 6/4/2021 at 2:49 PM, KeithHall said:

DCI owns the Kobold library. I wish I could by some recordings again because my cassette's I got from him don't work any more

licensing

On 6/3/2021 at 1:07 PM, ironlips said:

Two words: Tick System

That, plus... and I don't know if this was a factor in '75... prelims performance order.

In the days before seeding, and with prelims the same day as finals, a corps might go on late in prelims, do a kick-arse job and make finals, and then not have much gas left in the tank with the quick turnaround for the night show. 

Or... maybe Finleyville was just a really good corps in '75. They were. 

On 6/12/2021 at 10:06 AM, Tim K said:

I was such a newbie fan in 1975, I’m certain I never heard the rumor but I remember rumors about Kilties making finals in 78 and Troopers in 79 so a Royal Crusaders rumor would not be a shock. Rumors were a part of drum corps chatter. I do remember in 1979 Royal Crusaders were in the line up at CYO Nationals and someone in our group claimed that they should have made finals in subsequent years. Whether that was to combat a 1975 rumor I don’t know.

Ahhh yes... the pre-internet days of the rumor mill. Who knew how a rumor got started, and whether it would take several detours before fizzling out.

Reminds me of the "Purple Monkey Dishwasher" scene from "The Simpsons." 😄

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

That, plus... and I don't know if this was a factor in '75... prelims performance order.

In the days before seeding, and with prelims the same day as finals, a corps might go on late in prelims, do a kick-arse job and make finals, and then not have much gas left in the tank with the quick turnaround for the night show. 

Excellent points...both.

We rehearsed on adjacent fields at '75 Nats. When Garfield wrapped, they were still at it and I walked over to watch and say hello to my friend Mike Moxley, BD drill wizard who also worked with Finleyville. It was clear they had the edge on my team.

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

and numbers weren't held or changed. so what you put down you put down. and with wild performance orders, if you followed someone not good then came out out and looked light years better...boom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Jeff said, "if you followed someone not good then came out out and looked light years better...boom. "

This certainly did happen, particularly with "B List" judges. The top adjudicators were hip enough to manage their numbers with more finesse. Some Prelims however, extended beyond 12 hours, or even into a second day. It was asking a lot to expect anyone to maintain the same tolerances that long.

In a 6 corps show these days this is not an issue, but I do think groups should be assigned random performance times, months in advance. Always seeding the strongest teams later in the show provides them with several more hours of prep than their challenger competitors on performance days. Over the course of a tour, this becomes an enormous advantage in rehearsal time and mitigates against anyone closing the scoring gap.

• Like 2