Props an unnecessary necessity or

6 hours ago, Poppycock said:

the example of a design staff that lacks imagination or the ability to write and/or teach a drill for music that tells a story? Thoughts! 🤔

Good lord - what a cheerful worldview. That one would even think that a prop on the field is the result of a "design staff that lacks imagination or the ability to write and/or teach a drill for music that tells a story" - that such a thing would even enter someone's mind - is really something...

I'm not suggesting that all are well done, but I've never once thought that the use of props were to make up for a lack of imagination or drill design ability. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Good lord - what a cheerful worldview. That one would even think that a prop on the field is the result of a "design staff that lacks imagination or the ability to write and/or teach a drill for music that tells a story" - that such a thing would even enter someone's mind - is really something...

I'm not suggesting that all are well done, but I've never once thought that the use of props were to make up for a lack of imagination or drill design ability. 

Share with us what you believe bad props can be attributed to? 

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I can understand their purpose, if that purpose is to give the production that "full show", Broadway or otherwise, sort of vibe. Many over-do it. Not too many under-do it IMO. 

It's not like they're anything totally new. Even going back to the early 70s props in many forms were utilized. 

A third rate community theater’s production comes to mind.   Some of them are well done and appropriate but when I can see the paint chipping off of them from my seat and they’re just there to be there.....nope! 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You gave the great examples.  Now do the bad ones. 

Not knocking the corps, but the Blue Devils show that looked like an estate sale, flea market, or yard sale was pretty funny.  It was hilarious watching all of those props (costumes) rolling onto the field to be staged.  

Carolina Crown's trampolines were pretty cool, but they looked like a 'pain in the arse' to move around.  Also, their 'see-saw' prop was pretty funny in "Beast".

Actually by today's standard, when I see an Open Class corps without props, it seems kind of weird.   :peek:   

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

That one would even think that a prop on the field is the result of a "design staff that lacks imagination or the ability to write and/or teach a drill for music that tells a story" - that such a thing would even enter someone's mind - is really something...

Once again on DCP I find myself unable to distinguish seriousness from sarcasm.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

I like the subtlety of BK’s recent props. So subtle they disappear! On the other hand you have the “Hey kids, let’s put on a show” props. French fry boxes and clunky looking wedding cakes come to mind. 

Some of the shows you are referring to were poorly designed and conceived overall. Props can be fun and interesting, when they are world into a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

I like the subtlety of BK’s recent props. So subtle they disappear! On the other hand you have the “Hey kids, let’s put on a show” props. French fry boxes and clunky looking wedding cakes come to mind. 

Mmmmm french fries!

t-mcdonalds-Fries-Small-Medium.jpg

Edited by Continental