Props an unnecessary necessity or

1 hour ago, Continental said:

Thank you.  I admit the show concept was not that clear and I could not decipher what they wanted to convey.

There were a few issues.  Teal guard uniforms on a green field blend too much so that they almost become invisible.  However, the teal on the copper tarps at the front sideline was effective.

I still don't understand the copper-colored rolling structures.  

That being said, that year I fell in love with Picture Studies from Adam Shoenberg specifically because of Will Pitts arrangement.  I also love how Phantom linked it to the New World.

Sometimes the blending into the field can be design intent. It can be for reasons like accenting the front copper color as you mentioned, it can also be to show the flag design more. It can also be to hide a guard who may not be as proficient in body movement . Good design can accent strength and hide weakness. 

It can also be just bad choices IF it was not by design choice. Personally I do not know why but it is not unusual  to accent strengths and hide weakness. It's always been done. At least by smart designers..lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Continental said:

Thank you.  I admit the show concept was not that clear and I could not decipher what they wanted to convey.

There were a few issues.  Teal guard uniforms on a green field blend too much so that they almost become invisible.  However, the teal on the copper tarps at the front sideline was effective.

I still don't understand the copper-colored rolling structures.  

That being said, that year I fell in love with Picture Studies from Adam Shoenberg specifically because of Will Pitts arrangement.  I also love how Phantom linked it to the New World.

Agree; I thought it was about the best movement of that show!  A very effective transition. 

The Baritone & Euphonium feature!  Beautiful  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Props are one of the many reasons modern drum corps is so expensive, negatively impact performers' experience and safety, and are divorced from actual music education.

Agree - not to mention the field cutter and visual distortion they create. 

6 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Props are one of the many reasons modern drum corps is so expensive, negatively impact performers' experience and safety, and are divorced from actual music education.

So, are you suggesting that they should just order their props from Oriental Trading?  :spitting:

2 minutes ago, FTNK said:

How about paying staff instead of $15,000 of junk every season

or better yet, DCI caps the number of paid instructors AND props to provide parity between corps.  Like what the NFL and NHL does.  

Drum Corps is dying.  Do what can be done to cut down operating expenses so the activity has a chance for survival, and not for just a few.  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Topic point: no props except for 'character boxes' for soloist. 

Speaking of Phantom ballads, I need this in my life: 

Suggestion: Use a great quality headphones or in ear monitors.  ❤️💔❤️

Thank you.  

I remember some of the criticism of that show....that it was ballad intensive.

Listen to the first ballad starting at the 2:45 mark.  To me it is equally gorgeous.  Just so nice.  I'm sorry I cannot find a better or later season video but you will hear what I am referring to. 

Edited by Continental
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Continental said:

Thank you.  

I remember some of the criticism of that show....that it was ballad intensive.

Listen to the first ballad starting at the 2:45 mark.  To me it is equally gorgeous.  Just so nice.  I'm sorry I cannot find a better or later season video but you will hear what I am referring to. 

Yes; Mozart! (I think)  I just thought the 2016 production was just an overall beautiful lyrical horn book.  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx