Props an unnecessary necessity or

53 minutes ago, Continental said:

Thank you.  

I remember some of the criticism of that show....that it was ballad intensive.

Listen to the first ballad starting at the 2:45 mark.  To me it is equally gorgeous.  Just so nice.  I'm sorry I cannot find a better or later season video but you will hear what I am referring to. 

Topic: No props here:   😁

• Like 1

Speaking of props, this was just posted on the BAC 2021 thread.  I wonder if they got one of the giant guitars in Nashville.  :spitting: 

TONIGHT ON THE BOSTON CRUSADERS' FACEBOOK PAGE!!!

Tune in at 6:30 pm ET for:

• Props - This spring, our team headed to Nashville to find our biggest and brightest props yet. On Sunday night, Keith Potter will reveal our 2021 props and the story behind them.
  • Repertoire - The repertoire is set and the show is complete! Arranger Ryan George will break down the movements, inspiration, and musical features of our 2021 production.
  • Color Guard - Coming back bigger and better than ever, Heather Graham details plans for the two-time Zingali Award winning guard.
  • Design Team Deep Dive - Keith Potter, Ryan George, Heather Graham, and Colin McNutt will be on live to tell you everything they've been working on this winter!
  • Updates from our 2021 membership - Meet the cast, hear clips from our 2021 show, and more in this two hour live special!

This is (almost) your final warning. You don't want to miss out. Clear your schedules, grab your popcorn, and get ready for Sunday night with the Boston Crusaders because we are BACk!

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Yes; Mozart! (I think)  I just thought the 2016 production was just an overall beautiful lyrical horn book.  

I listened to the Mozart as well as the recording you posted.  I don't see a similarity.  I see on dcxmuseum.org there a reference to the title of the piece with the composer being Colin Mawby. 

Here is an example of a recording of the Mawby version.  It is what Phantom played. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

or better yet, DCI caps the number of paid instructors AND props to provide parity between corps.  Like what the NFL and NHL does.  

Drum Corps is dying.  Do what can be done to cut down operating expenses so the activity has a chance for survival, and not for just a few.  

Great minds think alike, but will egos get in the way! 

19 minutes ago, Continental said:

I listened to the Mozart as well as the recording you posted.  I don't see a similarity.  I see on dcxmuseum.org there a reference to the title of the piece with the composer being Colin Mawby. 

Here is an example of a recording of the Mawby version.  It is what Phantom played. 

Awesome, thanks!  I was confused.  Of course, there are several titled "ave vernum corpus" or "hail true body" from the prayer.  I love both of these arrangements.  

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Topic: No props here:   😁

Actually, I went to a concert ( classical) about 2 years ago and they had props, huge video screens lasers dancers, etc etc. They also spoke about how they felt they needed to bring the genre into this century and offer not just a musical but visual experience...interesting

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

or better yet, DCI caps the number of paid instructors AND props to provide parity between corps.  Like what the NFL and NHL does.  

Drum Corps is dying.  Do what can be done to cut down operating expenses so the activity has a chance for survival, and not for just a few.  

HMMMM now where have we heard that before...oh yeah 1972...lol

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Actually, I went to a concert ( classical) about 2 years ago and they had props, huge video screens lasers dancers, etc etc. They also spoke about how they felt they needed to bring the genre into this century and offer not just a musical but visual experience...interesting

Our local symphony has added video & lighting effects for their last two concerts.  With the advances in portable LED walls & stage lighting, you'll begin to see them in corps productions sooner rather than later.  🤔 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Our local symphony has added video & lighting effects for their last two concerts.  With the advances in portable LED walls & stage lighting, you'll begin to see them in corps productions sooner rather than later.  🤔 

very true, I know the local ballet company has added all of it too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

HMMMM now where have we heard that before...oh yeah 1972...lol

Guess it depends on the metrics used.  The number of active corps in 1972 vs. 2021 is a pretty good one in my book to measure the health of the activity.

• Thanks 2