Props an unnecessary necessity or

Just now, greg_orangecounty said:

Guess it depends on the metrics used.  The number of active corps in 1972 vs. 2021 is a pretty good one in my book to measure the health of the activity.

Yet one has to look at why the failures of corps in the 70s were. None of it had to do with advances but many with bad management, lack of vision or reluctance for the future or change, community and church support which changed etc etc. One also has to look at what the young member of the 60s and 70s were verses what young people today have at their fingertips, quite different. We didn't have a lot to spread our wings , today VERY different. The good and bad of that I suppose.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Yet one has to look at why the failures of corps in the 70s were. None of it had to do with advances but many with bad management, lack of vision or reluctance for the future or change, community and church support which changed etc etc. One also has to look at what the young member of the 60s and 70s were verses what young people today have at their fingertips, quite different. We didn't have a lot to spread our wings , today VERY different. The good and bad of that I suppose.

Costs of running a corps going through the roof. And you didn’t have to be a touring corps to get nailed (see Senior corps of the era).

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Lots of opinions about why there were so many organizations. IMO it’s accessibility and cost; No hobby players and very limited local participation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

The bean counters need to reel in the artist types or soon finals will take less than an hour. 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Show themed uniforms should be in that list as well. There have definitely been some doozies. Crown 2018 comes to mind. I liked them, but they could have been toned down a LOT and been more effective.

oh i could have made a list for hours.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

The bean counters need to reel in the artist types or soon finals will take less than an hour. 

They do more than most think. The bean counters job is also to find ways to make the process move forward. That is also their job as well as keeping a lid on it. Especially if a corps can't afford to do it.

11 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Speaking of props, this was just posted on the BAC 2021 thread.  I wonder if they got one of the giant guitars in Nashville.  :spitting: 

TONIGHT ON THE BOSTON CRUSADERS' FACEBOOK PAGE!!!

Tune in at 6:30 pm ET for:

• Props - This spring, our team headed to Nashville to find our biggest and brightest props yet. On Sunday night, Keith Potter will reveal our 2021 props and the story behind them.
  •  

A follow up post talks about "high tech props".

To me,its kind of hard to justify spending a lot of money on props for few exhibition shows.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

A follow up post talks about "high tech props".

To me,its kind of hard to justify spending a lot of money on props for few exhibition shows.

Point taken. But that presumes that the organization in question views 2021 as just "a few exhibition shows" or something else entirely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craiga said:

Point taken. But that presumes that the organization in question views 2021 as just "a few exhibition shows" or something else entirely.

Its apparent from your post on the "Boston Crusaders 2021"  thread that  BAC is, as you post ,not  looking at 2021 as a "placeholder" year.

BAC has determined  that it is in their best interest to take on the financial burden  of putting together an elaborate show, for a very limited number of exhibition performances.

Hard to see how they can recoup the costs, unless they have enough funds "in the bank" to cover the season.

Will it work out, remains to be seen.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Hard to see how they can recoup the costs, unless they have enough funds "in the bank" to cover the season.

Boston's instructional staff, BOD, etc. had their meetings and decided it was to the corps short/long term benefit to go ahead with how "Zoom" is going to be performed.  Fortunately, the organizations financial status has grown these past five to seven years.  But, staying solvent is still a 24/7 job for any corps that seems to be well off.

• Like 1