Props an unnecessary necessity or

20 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, the big dog always eats first. BD continues to be the Crème de la crème. Haven’t seen anything that’s going to change that anytime soon. 

I was waiting for you or somebody else to chime in with something "Blue Devils" on this thread. Good grief. :lle: :doh:

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Oh no bubble busted here, I hear ya for sure . It could present a possibility for BAC, Where it goes after could be another story

There’s always a possibility! But as much as I have enjoyed their recent productions, none have been medals worthy let alone championship quality. This season is exhibition only which IMO is essentially meaningless compared to a normal competition year. I’m not convinced this season will have much if any impact to what happens in 2022. 

Edited by Poppycock

My problem with props isn't "props" per se.  My issue is that they are totally not necessary AND to the bigger point is that they are being used for score advantage.  The sheer cost of the props and the cost to transport them all over the country IMHO is wasteful  AND unfair.  I get that some people that are "homers" think this is fair but I do not.  The advantage of money and funds is already high, why are we making it even more so?  COVID has changed a lot in the world, were props removed or reduced to a single equipment trailer with uniforms, musical and color guard equipment...I can live with that in the scope of everything else going on in the world. 

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I’m not convinced this season will have much if any impact to what happens in 2022. 

If Boston does go all out this year with a strong program and with Boston going to Ireland next March, maybe their auditions starting in November, will bring in even stronger talent.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

My problem with props isn't "props" per se.  My issue is that they are totally not necessary AND to the bigger point is that they are being used for score advantage.

It’s been a monkey see monkey do activity for many years now void of an original thought with the exception of a very few. A very few! Props have caused even more separation between the haves and the have not. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

If Boston does go all out this year with a strong program and with Boston going to Ireland next March, maybe their auditions starting in November, will bring in even stronger talent.

We will have to wait and see if ring chasers want to go to Ireland or win a DCI Championship. 

Edited by Poppycock

On 6/6/2021 at 3:57 PM, keystone3ply said:

Topic point: no props except for 'character boxes' for soloist. 

Speaking of Phantom ballads, I need this in my life: 

Suggestion: Use a great quality headphones or in ear monitors.  ❤️💔❤️

Those unis are gorgeous--particularly the guard.  😍

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

There’s always a possibility! But as much as I have enjoyed their recent productions, none have been medals worthy let alone championship quality. This season is exhibition only which IMO is essentially meaningless compared to a normal competition year. I’m not convinced this season will have much if any impact to what happens in 2022. 

it will " IF" used smartly and directly for specific reason. For the most part just to do for the sake of doing is one thing, to strategically use it for specific reason and focused outcome can be quite different . Something tells me there's a reason.

I could agree with you almost completely except I do know many striving for success plan, attack, calculate etc etc If a huge amount is being spent by any this summer, you can bet its with a strategic plan in mind however small, or big

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

It’s been a monkey see monkey do activity for many years now void of an original thought with the exception of a very few. A very few! Props have caused even more separation between the haves and the have not. 

real world .

I think a corps should have the choice and bad themes as well as bad props should be judged as such. Now if the total production works and enhances a program great BUT to say what is necessary or not is not the choice of anyone but the corps. I remember when all the junk hit the pit many said the same

Usually bad props are produced by bad designers or new designers trying to be something they aren;t ...yet. That can also be said of bad or over written guard books, musical selections, drum parts, uniform, show design. It's happened for many decades. A good designer new or experienced should know how to make their members look good, show the great qualities, hide the flaws and most of all produce something that allows a corps to excel, challenge but realistically achieve. Even a smaller corps, less budget, prop less, etc etc can shine " IF " the design team looks at who they are writing for and gives them the vehicle to achieve and succeed.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

it will " IF" used smartly and directly for specific reason. For the most part just to do for the sake of doing is one thing, to strategically use it for specific reason and focused outcome can be quite different . Something tells me there's a reason.

I could agree with you almost completely except I do know many striving for success plan, attack, calculate etc etc If a huge amount is being spent by any this summer, you can bet its with a strategic plan in mind however small, or big

Many call putting coins in the slots an investment!   Sure it could pay off but what are the odds?

And if you do hit 3 liberty bells ? 

Better recruitment?  I don't think they need to improve that. They're getting good kids already. 

Better design?  They already hired a top notch design team.  

Better....what? 

If you want to "contend" you have to trade wins with BD in most captions night in and night out over an entire season.  Crown did that.  Bloo did that.   

2021 won't change anything. 

Wanna win?  Simple.  March, play, spin, dance better than BD.  

And that ain't gonna happen in 21.  

• Thanks 1