Props an unnecessary necessity or

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

the four biggest costs of running a drum corps today are:

food

fuel

housing

insurance

I would have thought assets like uniforms, instruments, etc would be high up the list too...

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I would have thought assets like uniforms, instruments, etc would be high up the list too...

Instruments are often replaced on a yearly basis, but the corps get deals on the instruments from the manufacturer and sells them at the end of the season. It’s probably not quite a wash, but it’s also not a huge line item. Regarding uniforms, I stopped at a booth in Indy to say hello to someone. Before I knew it a salesperson cornered me and gave me a pitch for uniforms  which included price. They are not that expensive, or at least not as expensive as I thought. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

The new disposable uniforms are much cheaper & the instruments are practically used without cost or highly discounted as they are sold yearly or every other year.  🤔   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

The new disposable uniforms are much cheaper & the instruments are practically used without cost or highly discounted as they are sold yearly or every other year.  🤔   

Anyone have an idea how many corps in DCI get a deal like this? And do any DCA corps get them?

On 6/6/2021 at 8:14 PM, GUARDLING said:

Yet one has to look at why the failures of corps in the 70s were. None of it had to do with advances but many with bad management, lack of vision or reluctance for the future or change, community and church support which changed etc etc. 

We keep hearing this refrain about "bad management" being the explanation for the great downturn in corps population in the 1970s (and 1980s, and so on).  Evidently, management was much better in the 1950s and 1960s, judging from the number of corps and the growth of that number back then.  Why do you think management got so bad all of a sudden in the 1970s?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the four biggest costs of running a drum corps today are:

food

fuel

housing

insurance

That has been true for many years.  Meanwhile, many of the other costs that add up these days were not even on the list BITD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

It's pretty easy to cut uniform (er costume) costs when so many corps put half naked color guards on the field. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

We keep hearing this refrain about "bad management" being the explanation for the great downturn in corps population in the 1970s (and 1980s, and so on).  Evidently, management was much better in the 1950s and 1960s, judging from the number of corps and the growth of that number back then.  Why do you think management got so bad all of a sudden in the 1970s?

For many they couldn't or wouldn't change with the world changing, members changing or the vision to move forward. It's not that the 50s or 60s had better management, times and people were much different, It's also not that these people were bad people, to the contrary , They had big and great hearts, worked hard etc etc but few knew how to or didn't desire to admit everything was changing. They didn't get bad all of a sudden in the 70s they just didn't change to move forward, The old ways in many areas of life were changing.

While I don't speak for BAC, I have been around the organization since the late 1970s, and I count some of the upper management  and almost all of the BOD among some of my closest friends.  I have known many of these people 30 or 40 years and I know them well. As far as this summer goes, their collective world view is that despite the brief season and having only 9 or 10 shows, it will be an essential cog into climbing into the top 3 sooner rather than later.  The top shelf design  team is talked about frequently on here, but the decision makers in Hyde Park are absolutely committed to doing whatever it takes to get the corps in a position to eventually win.  When will this happen?  I have no idea, but from what I've been told, the show coming out of Boston this summer is being designed and taught AS IF this were a regular season.  I guess that even if you don't buy into the notion that BAC can win someday, this summer's show will definitely be a treat for the audiences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1