Props an unnecessary necessity or

19 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

so you mention Bloo while discussing Boston.

so lets look at things here...Bloo first medaled in 2010 after many years of being anywhere from 5-9 (not counting 99). Then after 10, they medaled again in 14, then finally won in 16. havent won since but got really, really close and quite possibly coulda/shoulda won in 19.

so the "new" Boston just really got rolling in 17. They have not medaled yet, and have made it to 5th what 2 times since 2000?

these things take time. every corps out there not named BD has had ups and downs, and heck even for a while BD was in that 4th place rut in the 90's and 2000's before they exploded in 07 and never looked back. even Crown took a while from their 2003 rebound til they won in 13.

Phantom? ups and downs. Same for SCV, Cavies...Madison and Cadets definitely down lately....can they bounce back?

We're not disagreeing.  I mention Bloo/Crown only because that's where Boston wants to be.  

Digging out the trusty 10 yr avg finals placement...

6HqEXFg.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Hundreds... but I understand the point that some corps came and went, generally speaking.

If we accept that premise, then the next question follows inevitably.

• Hundreds of drum corps were formed by churches.
  • Hundreds of drum corps were formed by American Legion posts.
  • Hundreds of drum corps were formed by VFW posts.
  • DCI has not formed a single drum corps.

Your observation makes it pretty clear what would happen if the activity moved away from churches and civic organizations and toward DCI... a genocidal decrease in corps population.  Was that the greater example of "bad management"?

I think this exchange between you and JimF is DCP at it's best.  A respectful discussion with differing opinions and ideas. Not so common on Internet message boards and I appreciate it. 

(and I think you're both right).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I think this exchange between you and JimF is DCP at it's best.  A respectful discussion with differing opinions and ideas. Not so common on Internet message boards and I appreciate it. 

(and I think you're both right).

Well when you get a Sr/all age guy (me) discussing points on a DCI forum… ( and I saw a lot of the non DCA Sr part) look out world 😆

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Hundreds... but I understand the point that some corps came and went, generally speaking.

Your observation makes it pretty clear what would happen if the activity moved away from churches and civic organizations and toward DCI... a genocidal decrease in corps population.  Was that the greater example of "bad management"?

DCI's job was never to actually form corps. You did point out the many reasons( and there's more), why things changed so much. Lets not just look at this being a drum corps issue of the time. MANY things took huge hits at the same time. Look at the numbers of Boy Scouts compared to now. Those groups who helped form corps also took hits of their own. Hits took out many church organizations , legions barley exist. etc etc

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I would have thought assets like uniforms, instruments, etc would be high up the list too...

not top 4.

13 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

You are SO correct.

i know. i've said it many times in many places, but why ruin the myth?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

We keep hearing this refrain about "bad management" being the explanation for the great downturn in corps population in the 1970s (and 1980s, and so on).  Evidently, management was much better in the 1950s and 1960s, judging from the number of corps and the growth of that number back then.  Why do you think management got so bad all of a sudden in the 1970s?

not planning for the future and living hand to mouth to shoebox

12 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

That has been true for many years.  Meanwhile, many of the other costs that add up these days were not even on the list BITD.

agreed. but...for those corps that worse the same uniforms for years and years and years you had replacement costs for full or parts of uniforms, repair costs...instrument repair costs....mylar drum heads by the crate weekly...and don't forget costs that don't show on a corps ledge back then...kids often buying their own food. and everything was far less expensive back then. most corps didn't carry much if any insurance except for ones smart enough to listen to Don Warren. Sure housing was often free, but liability for schools has killed that golden goose..and even then you had complaints about haves and have nots.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

in some cases yes because those moving away had no idea how to pay for everything. and churches and posts would have gotten out of corps in time DCI or no DCI. How many posts no longer active? membership is declining. Same for churches. a drum corps for kids is not in their charter of what they are supposed to be about, and s the world went on, those groups decided to focus more on their charter mission

• Thanks 1