Props an unnecessary necessity or

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

as has been explained on here multiple times ( and always conveniently ignored) Open Class voted to be run the way they are as a class. 

By the time that vote took place, all other options had been removed and DCI was a junior-corps monopoly.  The "choice" was between running as a net-zero-cost appendix of DCI, or being cut completely loose to compete against DCI.  You know, like Drum Corps Midwest did.  How did that work out for them?

As for the rest of your description... 

They had many opportunities to stand up for themselves, and a few times could have scored a win or two, but refused to do so on so many occasions, well...they ####ed themselves. at some point OC needed to grow a set and stand up for themselves, and never did even when there was a chance they could have gotten somewhere

... it is like the frog in the pot of water gradually brought to a boil.

• Like 1

I was talking with a friend and his son recently. The son will be a senior in high school this fall. He’s in the band and though the band competes a few times a year most years, it is known mostly for its half time performances and is a favorite at parades. The band instructor is trying to regroup the band after over a year of hiatus and he shared with the students his plans for their fall show. It will require props and a vocalist and the props will be constructed by students and volunteers over the summer. 

As we spoke, the young man was more excited about the theme, the props, the electronics, etc. than the musical selections. He’s a committed musician and wants to go into education and teach music. In light of this discussion I could not help but think that for young people marching today, whether it is  a DCI finalist, a favorite BOA participant, or the average high school band, props, electronics, and the like are a natural part of the show and in our Internet saturated gadget oriented world, is this a surprise?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I was talking with a friend and his son recently. The son will be a senior in high school this fall. He’s in the band and though the band competes a few times a year most years, it is known mostly for its half time performances and is a favorite at parades. The band instructor is trying to regroup the band after over a year of hiatus and he shared with the students his plans for their fall show. It will require props and a vocalist and the props will be constructed by students and volunteers over the summer. 

As we spoke, the young man was more excited about the theme, the props, the electronics, etc. than the musical selections. He’s a committed musician and wants to go into education and teach music. In light of this discussion I could not help but think that for young people marching today, whether it is  a DCI finalist, a favorite BOA participant, or the average high school band, props, electronics, and the like are a natural part of the show and in our Internet saturated gadget oriented world, is this a surprise?

I had a friend once

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 9:03 AM, Poppycock said:

The cost of DCI touring is unsustainable, so don’t expect to see much if any growth. In fact I expect to see fewer corps but higher quality. What I know about DCA is that it’s DCI-lite and the circuit doesn’t have money for growth. Enjoy what’s left, because none of it may even exist in another ten years. 

The Virus speed up the End of Life for DCA. DCI had the timetable speed up on them and the results will be fewer corps. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

By the time that vote took place, all other options had been removed and DCI was a junior-corps monopoly.  The "choice" was between running as a net-zero-cost appendix of DCI, or being cut completely loose to compete against DCI.  You know, like Drum Corps Midwest did.  How did that work out for them?

As for the rest of your description... 

... it is like the frog in the pot of water gradually brought to a boil.

they had chances long before the regional circuits went buhbye. they chose to do nothing.

i'm not saying they should be treated as they are. i have long advocated the mothership should do more for them in myriad ways ( even here on this site). But they are their own worst enemy.