Props an unnecessary necessity or

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well i go to a show, i watch everyone. i'm not a lot lizard watching lines play stuff great so they can #### out tap rolls on the move, and i close the cooler in time to go in so i am seated by "oh say can you see"

That’s the way to go.  Even if you are drunk off your ### and loudly belt out the wrong words off key.

10 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

More people like this and things WILL change

the dumbest thing DCI did was make the lot "a show".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, skevinp said:

That’s the way to go.  Even if you are drunk off your ### and loudly belt out the wrong words off key.

for the betterment of all humanity, sober or not, i just don't sing

• Haha 1

I know its unrelated and I've been away from drum corps for almost a decade at this point but could someone please explain to me the switch to skin tight costumes we've seen over the past couple years? I don't understand what purpose this serves if you are trying to project your presence all the way to the press box, whereas the tall schacos and well defined uniforms served this function very well to make the marching members seem a hundred feet tall. 

7 hours ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

I know its unrelated and I've been away from drum corps for almost a decade at this point but could someone please explain to me the switch to skin tight costumes we've seen over the past couple years? I don't understand what purpose this serves if you are trying to project your presence all the way to the press box, whereas the tall schacos and well defined uniforms served this function very well to make the marching members seem a hundred feet tall. 

The switch is actually functional.  You can't do all that running and leaping and dancing in a cadet style uniform with a shako bobbing around the whole time.  Also, presence is not really a thing anymore, at least not in the way you are remembering.

In terms that might resonate, I would say that the notion of 'how to project your presence to the box' has gone beyond the usual '100 feet tall' of military uniform styles and into 'how various body motion reads from the box.'  

That is, not just the marching, but the arm motions, leg mimes, dance moves, etc.  having more form fitting uniforms allows those things to read better.  Precision has been extended to every motion of the body and the body expected to move more and in different ways than military style uniforms would allow. 

Also, 'print on cloth' technology allows for 'new looks' rather cheaply done every year and customization to themes as the visual thematics (pageantry leech influence to some on this board...heh) have become a driving design force too.

Some of you are going to blow a gasket when you see Boston’s props this year….

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Some of you are going to blow a gasket when you see Boston’s props this year….

Thanks for the heads-up! I’ll bring a spare gasket. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Thanks for the heads-up! I’ll bring a spare gasket. 

I’ll bring some chairs and some popcorn because oooooooh boy the commentary here is gonna be something! 

I’m a pretty progressive fan and even I think Boston might be going too far so for a purist this will be especially offensive…

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, crownisking said:

I’ll bring some chairs and some popcorn because oooooooh boy the commentary here is gonna be something! 

I’m a pretty progressive fan and even I think Boston might be going too far so for a purist this will be especially offensive…

I have no idea what they have in mind, but for some reason, I can’t wait!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer