Props an unnecessary necessity or

@Smug Trumpet Guy … your screen name … isn’t that redundant? (Pssst … I’m a trumpet guy, too.)

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, crownisking said:

Some of you are going to blow a gasket when you see Boston’s props this year….

I saw them, the digital screens. Is it wrong to assume that this investment would be used multiple years moving forward? It's like a programmable digital backdrop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, darlacorp said:

I saw them, the digital screens. Is it wrong to assume that this investment would be used multiple years moving forward? It's like a programmable digital backdrop.

Digital screens? Is that all? Didn’t Tarpon Springs already do that? If I recall correctly, a screen would fail from time to time.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

I know its unrelated and I've been away from drum corps for almost a decade at this point but could someone please explain to me the switch to skin tight costumes we've seen over the past couple years? I don't understand what purpose this serves if you are trying to project your presence all the way to the press box, whereas the tall schacos and well defined uniforms served this function very well to make the marching members seem a hundred feet tall. 

because with the body elements of visual design, old uniforms hinder the movement

2 hours ago, crownisking said:

Some of you are going to blow a gasket when you see Boston’s props this year….

especially if they blow a circuit. Good thing it's not scored....I hate to see an RCC sized penalty hit them

24 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Digital screens? Is that all? Didn’t Tarpon Springs already do that? If I recall correctly, a screen would fail from time to time.  

Boston’s will be pretty big. I’m not sure I like this. Potential malfunctions aside, it just seems kinda lazy (from a design perspective) to have a digital screen that can be anything you want it to be. 

Maybe I’m overreacting. It might be really cool. Probably not something I’d want to see used in future shows though.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, darlacorp said:

That’s exactly what I’m afraid of. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

especially if they blow a circuit. Good thing it's not scored....I hate to see an RCC sized penalty hit them

Yeah, Tarpon’s screens we’re pretty glitchy but Byrnes HS in South Carolina used similar technology in their show the year before and they didn’t have any issues. At least not during any of their judged performances. 

9 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

So is DCI going to move from “you have to sit in the right place to hear the amps” to “you have to sit in the right place to see the screen”. 🙄

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Yah tarpon did this already complete with screen 3 issues.  I wonder if LOS's infamous Bermuda Triangle of microphones is to blame?  We'll find out.

• Like 1