Props an unnecessary necessity or

8 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

The key phrase is "They're not going anywhere no matter how much everyone complains, so it's best to just sit back and enjoy the show or leave the stadium and never look back."

yup. every "new trend" in drum corps has had great examples and bad ones. props are no different. grounding percussion equipment early on had great and bad examples.  remember double flags? asymetrical drill? 3 valve bugles had great and bad lines. kevlar heads had great and bad lines. Bb brass? had both. electronics...ditto.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yup. every "new trend" in drum corps has had great examples and bad ones. props are no different. grounding percussion equipment early on had great and bad examples.  remember double flags? asymetrical drill? 3 valve bugles had great and bad lines. kevlar heads had great and bad lines. Bb brass? had both. electronics...ditto.

Show themed uniforms should be in that list as well. There have definitely been some doozies. Crown 2018 comes to mind. I liked them, but they could have been toned down a LOT and been more effective.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

There are too many to name, and I hate to be that guy who trashes a show that the members did the best they could, with what they were given, but the point is that props by themselves are not inherently bad or unimaginative. It all depends on if they are truly integral to the designers’ plan (and if it is a good plan) and how they are executed. 

I really do appreciate your sentiment.  For me, I not trying to bash or never intend to 'throw the MMs under the bus'.  I feel as a musician, teacher, arranger, etc, that I have the right to critique any & all shows.  Of course, it really doesn't matter unless the product becomes so bad that they can't sell tickets.  Musicians, directors, singers, actors, dancers, designers etc, are the most critical people in the world.  😁  But if it's a design issue, I will 'throw them under the bus" along with many other fans, alumni, etc.  

FYI: talked to my former student who was in town last week.  He was suppose to age out last year with BCA when the tour was canceled, but he's marching the "Celebration Tour" this summer.  Can't wait to see him on his final tour next month!  

#MarchOn    :dancin::babies: 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Found it; the 2018 "New World" rewrite.  😬 Loved the 15 sets of tenors; horn book, not so much...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdgwjJy3gpk

I always think that's a neat gimmick when corps put a boatload of other instrument/guard people on tenors or snares like BD did or all those guard members on bugle like The Cadets did. Corps should put every member out there on flags and rifles while the pit plays a drum feature. (or hell I dunno maybe that's been done)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Found it; the 2018 "New World" rewrite.  😬 Loved the 15 sets of tenors; horn book, not so much...

Ah, yes, the orange luggage trolleys...

PR did some nice stuff with that front area, but as noted, the music was underwhelming.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Not knocking the corps, but the Blue Devils show that looked like an estate sale, flea market, or yard sale was pretty funny.  It was hilarious watching all of those props (costumes) rolling onto the field to be staged.  

Carolina Crown's trampolines were pretty cool, but they looked like a 'pain in the arse' to move around.  Also, their 'see-saw' prop was pretty funny in "Beast".

Actually by today's standard, when I see an Open Class corps without props, it seems kind of weird.   :peek:   

Wondering where Cavaliers’ “Machine” would place today. Not a single prop on the field.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Thank you.  I admit the show concept was not that clear and I could not decipher what they wanted to convey.

There were a few issues.  Teal guard uniforms on a green field blend too much so that they almost become invisible.  However, the teal on the copper tarps at the front sideline was effective.

I still don't understand the copper-colored rolling structures.  

That being said, that year I fell in love with Picture Studies from Adam Shoenberg specifically because of Will Pitts arrangement.  I also love how Phantom linked it to the New World.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1