Marching band gets another punch in the gut and more bad publicity

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

So in California someone can end up on an 'offender registry' without a criminal conviction? 

Golly.

In NJ, a recent law (couple of years ago) was passed so that when a staff person has applied to a district for a position, the former districts can and must share the reason for the person leaving, even if there was no charge and conviction.

Before that, many times the first district just let the person resign, especially if parents of involved students did not want to subject their children to further stress by pursuing a court case. In those days, the first district was not permitted to discuss the reason for the resignation, otherwise the teacher could sue that district, as legally all they did was resign. 

I think most of us old timers know of lots of cases of teachers moving around various districts due to the old policies. That is thankfully no longer the rule.

11 hours ago, MikeD said:

Mod hat here...removed a couple of posts. Please be careful of what you post, language-wise.

not sure why my post was removed. i said nothing against guidelines.

but i'll post a brief recap of what was erased...

his day job was not with the kids, he was the percussion caption head and assistant marching band director. helped build the band back to competitive power outdoor, and took the group from kind of a local indoor joke to a multiple time WGI finalist.

i'll be honest i literally threw up when the story broke. I've known him a long time and never had any inkling of this. And i hope the law gets him to the fullest extent. 

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

his day job was not with the kids, he was the percussion caption head and assistant marching band director. helped build the band back to competitive power outdoor, and took the group from kind of a local indoor joke to a multiple time WGI finalist.

i'll be honest i literally threw up when the story broke. I've known him a long time and never had any inkling of this. And i hope the law gets him to the fullest extent. 

I think you suggested that he undergo a certain surgical procedure, perhaps without anesthesia. And I think Terri suggested that the procedure be more extensive. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

W are the three checks all though the state? Years back had 2 checks, 1 was PSP (PA State Police for you non PAers) and one was a nationwide registry. Either $10 or $20 each. Just wondering what the process is today.

34 is the PSP check. 151 is the PA Child Abuse network. That one asks a lot of detailed things, such as where you have lived in the past 20 years, who you have lived with... very involved. 88 is the FBI fingerprint check. They total about 60 bucks last I knew for the three of them if you paid out of pocket. You can claim them for state taxes... a get maybe a buck or 2 back from the 60 you shelled out. I'm all for backgorund checks. The issue I have is having to spend 60 bucks out of your own pocket to prove you're not a crook. I do believe a lot of organizations are now handling this, because otherwise, they'd have far fewer volunteers. For example, a friend is on the board of a Day Care Center in the Uptown Harrisburg area where the kids attend for free, very high quality. A lot of the volunteers that they have are pretty strapped for money. The 60 bucks would be a real dent in what income they have.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

It's not easy when you felt you've been lied to by someone for a long time, Jeff. Not at all.

25 minutes ago, BigW said:

34 is the PSP check. 151 is the PA Child Abuse network. That one asks a lot of detailed things, such as where you have lived in the past 20 years, who you have lived with... very involved. 88 is the FBI fingerprint check. They total about 60 bucks last I knew for the three of them if you paid out of pocket. You can claim them for state taxes... a get maybe a buck or 2 back from the 60 you shelled out. I'm all for backgorund checks. The issue I have is having to spend 60 bucks out of your own pocket to prove you're not a crook. I do believe a lot of organizations are now handling this, because otherwise, they'd have far fewer volunteers. For example, a friend is on the board of a Day Care Center in the Uptown Harrisburg area where the kids attend for free, very high quality. A lot of the volunteers that they have are pretty strapped for money. The 60 bucks would be a real dent in what income they have.

Thanks… guessing 25 or so years back it was two forms. One to PSP and forget who got the other. Good grief I remember using an honest to goodness typewriter to fill them out so going back a ways. As for fingerprints, Uncle Sam has mine for working at the base. That’s was part of first day on the job. “Ok now we’re going to show you the security office. This will take a while because you’re all getting fingerprinted”. 😳

12 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thanks… guessing 25 or so years back it was two forms. One to PSP and forget who got the other. Good grief I remember using an honest to goodness typewriter to fill them out so going back a ways. As for fingerprints, Uncle Sam has mine for working at the base. That’s was part of first day on the job. “Ok now we’re going to show you the security office. This will take a while because you’re all getting fingerprinted”. 😳

Of interest regarding the FBI Check: If the FBI doesn't have a match on your prints that shows you're some kind of criminal, they destroy your set. I believe that was one of the serious sticking points of Act 88 that got ironed out with the FBI and PA. There was a smack of "Big Brother" there and it was a serious concern taking innocent people's fingerprints and adding them to the FBI foles.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BigW said:

Of interest regarding the FBI Check: If the FBI doesn't have a match on your prints that shows you're some kind of criminal, they destroy your set. I believe that was one of the serious sticking points of Act 88 that got ironed out with the FBI and PA. There was a smack of "Big Brother" there and it was a serious concern taking innocent people's fingerprints and adding them to the FBI foles.

Kris had a cousin and his wife who worked at FBI building in DC. He worked computer crimes and she did a bunch of talk to the media work. Then they got tired of the commute from Hell from MD and transferred to FL. Going back and forth on bus and Metro subway while armed got to be a drag. Haven’t heard from them since so 🤷🏻. Too bad as I’d ask him about this. 

Visited them once and saw an Oracle database book in his study. I picked it up “Vinnie does your mother know you have obscene books in your house”. He started to defend himself and then I said “dude I have the same book at work”. 😈

Edited by JimF-LowBari

On 6/16/2021 at 12:30 PM, Poppycock said:

That’s not true! There is not equal justice under the law, at least not in Cali. You can be canceled at the drop of a hat. 

[citation needed]

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I think you suggested that he undergo a certain surgical procedure, perhaps without anesthesia. And I think Terri suggested that the procedure be more extensive. 

i dont see anything in the rules about medical advice....lord knows this site has been full of that for the last 18 months

• Haha 1