Now HERE'S a find for the 80's corps fans...Garfield GE brass tape 84 WHITEWATER

That entire book in '84 was flawless.  I remember sitting through the ending of 1812 and wondering how the shows were going to get better than that... then SCV played their ##### off and just... faded out quietly.  It was such a confident move, we were slack jawed.  Then BD came out and by the end of La Fiesta the place was bonkers.  Following that BD horn line should have been an impossible task, but Garfield just quietly started the show and by the time they got into it, everyone was on the edge of the seats.  As much as Tonite nailed down the title though, that was Barbara's show.  It doesn't work without her.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

That entire book in '84 was flawless.  I remember sitting through the ending of 1812 and wondering how the shows were going to get better than that... then SCV played their ##### off and just... faded out quietly.  It was such a confident move, we were slack jawed.  Then BD came out and by the end of La Fiesta the place was bonkers.  Following that BD horn line should have been an impossible task, but Garfield just quietly started the show and by the time they got into it, everyone was on the edge of the seats.  As much as Tonite nailed down the title though, that was Barbara's show.  It doesn't work without her.

84 was a good year all around music-wise.

And btw....the Wipeout did not cost Garfield the show that night...since the M&M judges missed it (remember, they got a perfect ensemble vizh subcap score)...SCV legit won the show.

I enjoyed listening to this show. We are fortunate that the show is well preserved on DVD and most especially on the Essentials Blu-Ray. As good as the recordings are, my recollection was that most times I saw the show, whether it was early or late in the season, it was always polished but it also a bit more grittiness than you find on the DVD. This recording is how I remember the show and it took me back a bit.

i will never tire of this show ever

• Like 4

On 6/22/2021 at 4:09 PM, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I was at finals myself--such a strong set of finalists. And as good as the other were, Garfield was just on another level.

ETA

I happened to be sitting next to two band directors, and we were all slack-jawed at every aspect of Garfield's show.  We knew we were watching something truly revolutionary when the contras basically ran backwards single file while playing a ridiculous 16th note riff.  

Edited by jthomas666
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was there - was a high school sophomore at the time.  Started harassing my parents about marching after seeing this.  Beginning of a life long infatuation.  My corps folded so I never got to tour, but was able to enjoy the activity for about 5 years as my own kids marched.  It all tracks back to the 1984 season and this show.

• Like 2