DCI receives $4,700,000 grant

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Don’t know much about PPPs. If it is a loan is an interest rate mentioned?

2%

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol Westshoremen bari line used it in the late 70s. Mix of music majors (1sts), technical people (2nds) and blue collar railroad workers (3rds). He should pay us to use it 😈

And if he says “wanna hear another pithy statement… pith me off some more…” he owes me directly (oh these blue collar kids who go to state colleges)

Rest Assured, From 1975ish when Jim started to 1984 when we both retired from Westshore,  we didn't need Bill O'Reilly to be pithy. In fact I will say all of our Baritone players in that time frame would be pithy enough to claim we influenced Bill, not the other way around. 😸

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Poppycock said:

This is a Federal hand out for DCI to do with it as they please. It’s still far short of what is actually needed for annual operations. Hopefully they will stop with the cast of Ben-Hur approach to administration and become more responsible. 

See the source image

13 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

We got a PPP without issues. It was easy as pie to apply for and obtain. All one needs to do is keep records, which is what one should be doing anyway...  I'm actually surprised that DCI didn't go this route too.

My concerns weren't with getting the PPP.

It was the fact that  there was no assurance it would be converted from a loan  to a grant.

In fact, there seemed to be a number of different ways the Feds could keep it as a loan.

That's why, after reviewing all requirements, my corporate attorney and account said to "stay away".

Can I ask what type and size  business you have and if you've been able to meet all the requirements to convert it from a loan to a grant ?

I run a small engineering /land surveying company in NJ.

A couple of my competitors applied for and got PPP's.

So far, neither one has been able to get their loan converted  to a grant.

12 minutes ago, BigW said:

Rest Assured, From 1975ish when Jim started to 1984 when we both retired from Westshore,  we didn't need Bill O'Reilly to be pithy. In fact I will say all of our Baritone players in that time frame would be pithy enough to claim we influenced Bill, not the other way around. 😸

Thinking of people being influenced by the various and sundry personalities we had in that Bari line. 😳😬😈

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thinking of people being influenced by the various and sundry personalities we had in that Bari line. 😳😬😈

We were an immensely talented group of semi-dysfunctional misfits that at a couple of points had the best barelytone section in DCA bar none and was a good as a few of the low ender DCI sections. Then again, Baritone sections in that era had a low bar to jump for exellence. I'd say all of us rubbed off on one another in various ways... literally and figuratively. 🍺

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

My concerns weren't with getting the PPP.

It was the fact that  there was no assurance it would be converted from a loan  to a grant.

In fact, there seemed to be a number of different ways the Feds could keep it as a loan.

That's why, after reviewing all requirements, my corporate attorney and account said to "stay away".

Can I ask what type and size  business you have and if you've been able to meet all the requirements to convert it from a loan to a grant ?

I run a small engineering /land surveying company in NJ.

A couple of my competitors applied for and got PPP's.

So far, neither one has been able to get their loan converted  to a grant.

I run a small IT company servicing clients in several states on the West coast. My spouse is an attorney for a small office doing the same.

We've both got separate PPP loans/grants for our respective businesses, but got them later in the program. We aren't at the point where we our 1st or 2nd draws can be forgiven, but will do so very soon after our lenders finish with their guidance.

The initial PPP offerings and guidance was abysmal, but things cleared up around March 2021.

The only concerns are that at least 60% of the proceeds go to payroll.  The rest could have gone to rent or other required expenses.  Of course the SBA could always find fault with things, but they've significantly streamlined the paperwork required for forgiveness over the last several months.

A lot of the problems with PPP were due to different lenders' interpretation of the rules...

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, BigW said:

We were an immensely talented group of semi-dysfunctional misfits that at a couple of points had the best barelytone section in DCA bar none and was a good as a few of the low ender DCI sections. Then again, Baritone sections in that era had a low bar to jump for exellence. I'd say all of us rubbed off on one another in various ways... literally and figuratively. 🍺

And we were a bunch of self starters. No yelling or insults, at worse “you can do better than that” which whizzed us off enough to do better. Can just picture the 1979 line staring daggers into the instructor (you know who) as he tells us what he wants in musical terms. Then Bruce Bolich saying “for the rest of us, ya wanna sing that”. Bari tech sings… “rest of us” nod, say “ohhh” and bam we do it. 

Sorry to hijack folks but still shake my head at the mixture from music majors to blue collar welders.

edit: stray memory kicked in. Tech talking in musical terms. When he’s done you hear “do you know what he’s talking about”. “Think he’s telling us he had Italian food last night”. 😆 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

42 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And we were a bunch of self starters. No yelling or insults, at worse “you can do better than that” which whizzed us off enough to do better. Can just picture the 1979 line staring daggers into the instructor (you know who) as he tells us what he wants in musical terms. Then Bruce Bolich saying “for the rest of us, ya wanna sing that”. Bari tech sings… “rest of us” nod, say “ohhh” and bam we do it. 

Sorry to hijack folks but still shake my head at the mixture from music majors to blue collar welders.

edit: stray memory kicked in. Tech talking in musical terms. When he’s done you hear “do you know what he’s talking about”. “Think he’s telling us he had Italian food last night”. 😆 

Apologies for the hijack, but yeah, I seriously, seriously, miss Bruce. Underestimated his own ability, a friend to all. When i think of him, I'm happy to have hung with him and been a friend to him, and sad he's gone. very, very sad.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I don't believe it was interest free.

But, to be honest, I don't remember exactly how it worked.

The program was touted, at least around here, as being  an almost automatic conversion from a loan to a grant.

Thing is, when you go through the documents "almost automatic" wasn't, to be polite, "quite accurate".

If you didn't do everything perfectly, I believe there were even requirements for the color ink you had to use to sign documents, the government could keep the PPP as a loan.

Some flaws were "correctable", others you only got "one bite at the apple".

As I posted, after going through the requirements, both our corporate attorney and account said "stay away".

I got 2 PPPs.  One was already forgiven, but the 2nd I haven't heard on re applying for said forgiveness.

My amounts were less than $2000 each, tho.

Edited by 84BDsop