Prediction Type Thread

On 6/29/2021 at 6:39 AM, cixelsyd said:

woodwinds

I'm very sorry. There's currently a global woodwind shortage and DCI will be unable to accommodate this request. This occurred ironically at the same time of the global chicken wing shortage. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

I thought the only person pushing for boringwinds was he who must not be named.

The last woodwind proposal I'm aware of was introduced by a member of DCI's Board of Directors, Kathy Black. It passed the initial voting caucus 19-12 before being defeated in the final vote.

Woodwinds in drum corps is an inevitability. DCI wants it, and multiple member corps do, also. It's only a matter of time.

https://www.dci.org/news/2020-dci-rules-congress-proposals-at-a-glance

I'm all fine with a separate division that allows woodwinds, but as for changing what we have currently to accommodate woodwinds? @#$% no. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

outside of saxes, it would be stupid to even try to have sections of woodwinds take brass spots. 

you can't hear clarinets and flutes unless they're mic'd, so solo and small ensembles is what makes sense right now with those instruments. i know people don't like to hear things like that, but it's true. and i'm a clarinet player, so it's not coming from any place of "hate" for me.  i remember a rival high school had all of the flutes march piccolos, and you could hear them, but it was really gross. 

won't be like that for long, though, since i think within 10 years, hornlines are going to be tiny anyway.  mostly just mic'd solos and small ensembles to complement the wgi visual stuff in the background.  so get ready for it.  

Edited by Lance

14 hours ago, hostrauser said:

The last woodwind proposal I'm aware of was introduced by a member of DCI's Board of Directors, Kathy Black. It passed the initial voting caucus 19-12 before being defeated in the final vote.

Woodwinds in drum corps is an inevitability. DCI wants it, and multiple member corps do, also. It's only a matter of time.

https://www.dci.org/news/2020-dci-rules-congress-proposals-at-a-glance

my wallet is very hesitant to want to see it. 

5 hours ago, Lance said:

outside of saxes, it would be stupid to even try to have sections of woodwinds take brass spots. 

you can't hear clarinets and flutes unless they're mic'd, so solo and small ensembles is what makes sense right now with those instruments. i know people don't like to hear things like that, but it's true. and i'm a clarinet player, so it's not coming from any place of "hate" for me.  i remember a rival high school had all of the flutes march piccolos, and you could hear them, but it was really gross. 

won't be like that for long, though, since i think within 10 years, hornlines are going to be tiny anyway.  mostly just mic'd solos and small ensembles to complement the wgi visual stuff in the background.  so get ready for it.  

well...common sense and DCI Rules proposals often don't go hand in hand. to those that want it, they see more kids being available to sucker....err recruit into marching, which then leads to increasing the membership to 200.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 6:17 PM, Poppycock said:

I predict that BD will win another DCI title before anyone else does! 

The odds certainly would be in their favor if we look at the history. On the other hand, the Blue Devils has never been out of judged competition ( nor not even performing full field exhibitions ) for 2 entire years. The pandemic caused the cancellation of judged competition for not just one, but 2 DCI seasons. This is unprecedented . Its never happened in the DCI years from 1972 onward.. So this is all new for all these Corps, Blue Devils included. Might the unprecedented 2 years of no field shows reshuffle the competition placement deck  ? Maybe.. maybe not. Alls we can say with a degree of certainty at the moment is that the Blue Devils ( and all other Corps too, of course ) have not been through such a 2 year period of non judged competition.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2021 at 10:34 PM, Brian Tuma said:

I could maybe be be talked into ONE contrabassoon.

Yup.  Nothing like the acoustic low reed sound.  Tubas playing pedal tones just don't have the bite.  

Okay, contrabassoons and bari saxes are in.  But nothing else, okay? 

... okay?

... aw poop...  

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 5:14 PM, keystone3ply said:

There's something both discomfiting and mesmerizing about this.