Is the 35 minimum still a thing?

Just now, BigW said:

I know. One was a great friend to you and my sister, who I was also quite fond of. The thing is... when you have someone holding in a 50 person horn line, that's 2 percent of the horns. You have one in a 20 person line, that's 5 percent. With smaller groups, it becomes far more noticeable and diminishes things more. One person means a lot more.

• 2 weeks later...

Just said in webcast that 2 corps have under 35 members (rule waived for 2021).

Did it say which corps or are the viewers supposed to be the T and P Judge and count heads? 😋

Cabs, CV, Fusion, Bush, Sun, White Sabers, Southern Knights, Hurcs in Open,  Govies, Rogue Hollow, Saints, Highland Regiment in A, 8 Open, 4 A?

• Haha 1

God  bless whoever it is just for having a corps this year

• Like 4

On 7/16/2021 at 3:21 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Unlike your avatar it’s not that easy. Invite corps that some people don’t want to see and you lose customers. Lose customers you could lose money on the show and the corps this show helped to finance. There’s another one of the corps that could fold…

And that's where promoters and those smaller corps need to come to an agreement of, "hey, you're smaller than our paying customers want in a full show.  Put on an exhibition at the start, follow up with a couple charts as scores are tabulated/run down.  We'll even toss in a couple mentions of, 'if you liked what you saw, so-and-so corps is looking for more members for this season or for next year.'"  Show promoter promotes the mini-corps as an opener, pays an appearance fee.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toby said:

And that's where promoters and those smaller corps need to come to an agreement of, "hey, you're smaller than our paying customers want in a full show.  Put on an exhibition at the start, follow up with a couple charts as scores are tabulated/run down.  We'll even toss in a couple mentions of, 'if you liked what you saw, so-and-so corps is looking for more members for this season or for next year.'"  Show promoter promotes the mini-corps as an opener, pays an appearance fee.  

Agreed. Seen several groups do just that at DCA shows. They got some exposure and performance time, and no one was grousing. The grousers got their popcorn and took their head calls, I guess.

And for pre and post contest, they were fine. Didn't embarrass themselves.

• 2 months later...

The point was moot I guess.  No one gets it (yet).  When even 1 of your corps members dies from covid, or a family member, or your job, or ??? you run a foal of the "rule".  And for those that never "technically" meet the rule, you season ends in MARCH or earlier, not labor day / September.  This is not a good formula for the "growth" of the activity.  Where's the incentive to become a DCA corps if you're a local "parade" corps or "bar" corps?  If it works for you, where is the we need to change motivation?  The members want it?  Because DCA surely doesn't.  And don't call me surely.

48 minutes ago, Shadow_7 said:

The point was moot I guess.  No one gets it (yet).  When even 1 of your corps members dies from covid, or a family member, or your job, or ??? you run a foal of the "rule".  And for those that never "technically" meet the rule, you season ends in MARCH or earlier, not labor day / September.  This is not a good formula for the "growth" of the activity.  Where's the incentive to become a DCA corps if you're a local "parade" corps or "bar" corps?  If it works for you, where is the we need to change motivation?  The members want it?  Because DCA surely doesn't.  And don't call me surely.

the problem is paying customers complained to show hosts about small/bad corps.

• Thanks 1