Is the 35 minimum still a thing?

21 hours ago, Shadow_7 said:

Where's the incentive to become a DCA corps if you're a local "parade" corps or "bar" corps?  If it works for you, where is the we need to change motivation?  The members want it?  Because DCA surely doesn't.  And don't call me surely.

“Bar corps”??

Motivation to go from parade corps to competition corps has to come from members and corps BoD and DCA has nothing to do with that. My corps picked up some members because a local corps had infighting on being parade/standstill or compete. Soon as decision was made not to compete bunch of people who wanted to compete showed up at our corps.

i get we all want more corps. but the last year at Scranton, some of those first few corps on at prelims got a slew of negative comments from people in the stands, all related to size and quality. In fact some folks got up a minute or two into the show and went elsewhere.  yeah when i go to a show i watch everyone, but i'm in the minority, and have been for years....and show hosts heard about it. go to any show and tell me the stands dont fill up until bigger and better corps come on the field, and i dont care what rose colored glasses you want to view life through its been that way forever

• Like 2

I've seen very good small corps, i.e. Charioteers for one. The musicians could play. Some of those corps BITD were not very good. Brass players honking away to make them sound big instead of using the size of the corps to their advantage. They get a brass book written for 50 horns when they have 12. Percussion parts written for an experience line and the drummers can't handle the book. That is really on their management to find a design team to design for the REALISTIC size of the corps. I worked with a small junior corps one summer and saw the brass score and thought it was to much for the 14 horn players. 

16 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I've seen very good small corps, i.e. Charioteers for one. The musicians could play. Some of those corps BITD were not very good. Brass players honking away to make them sound big instead of using the size of the corps to their advantage. They get a brass book written for 50 horns when they have 12. Percussion parts written for an experience line and the drummers can't handle the book. That is really on their management to find a design team to design for the REALISTIC size of the corps. I worked with a small junior corps one summer and saw the brass score and thought it was to much for the 14 horn players. 

Keith,

i'll say this as delicately as i can:

from 2005 when A Class exploded until 2013, i watched every single corps at prelims. from like 21 to 25 or 26..and maybe once was half of the show open class...in sun, a hurricane, you name it. pretty much the badness you describe above was half or more than half of the corps in the show. I still watched them, but I looked around me...and most of the seats were empty until much later into the show. I remember specifically someone coming in and saying out loud to a friend "did so and so get any better or do they still suck?"

thats the fan base today, and for years. even when prelims was non members then members in order of appearance in a blind draw, attendance was much lower during the non member corps portion.

On 10/22/2021 at 12:37 AM, Jeff Ream said:

Keith,

i'll say this as delicately as i can:

from 2005 when A Class exploded until 2013, i watched every single corps at prelims. from like 21 to 25 or 26..and maybe once was half of the show open class...in sun, a hurricane, you name it. pretty much the badness you describe above was half or more than half of the corps in the show. I still watched them, but I looked around me...and most of the seats were empty until much later into the show. I remember specifically someone coming in and saying out loud to a friend "did so and so get any better or do they still suck?"

thats the fan base today, and for years. even when prelims was non members then members in order of appearance in a blind draw, attendance was much lower during the non member corps portion.

It was noticeable to us from down on the field as well. The crowd was pretty solid by the time we took the field, but before that, it was pretty small. I think that people forget that a drum corps (DCA or DCI) doesn't just pop out of the musical womb fully formed in most cases. Sure there have been a few examples of "Who the %^$ are these cats and how did they get so good" from Star to Cadets2. But that's rare and we ALL know that these corps didn't happen in quite the way a casual fan might think they did. The casual fan is most likely NOT interested in growing the activity as much as we would all like them to be.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

It was noticeable to us from down on the field as well. The crowd was pretty solid by the time we took the field, but before that, it was pretty small. I think that people forget that a drum corps (DCA or DCI) doesn't just pop out of the musical womb fully formed in most cases. Sure there have been a few examples of "Who the %^$ are these cats and how did they get so good" from Star to Cadets2. But that's rare and we ALL know that these corps didn't happen in quite the way a casual fan might think they did. The casual fan is most likely NOT interested in growing the activity as much as we would all like them to be.

Started with a corps that had been inactive for a season and started late first year back. Needless to say we were the designated last place corps for a while. Didn’t have Class A then but DCA put not member corps on first at Prelims knowing people would not show up until top 10 were due on.

16 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

even in DCI now...look at the stands before the say top 6

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

even in DCI now...look at the stands before the say top 6

Very true. I guess what I can't figure out in my head is what has really changed from a fan perspective. The corps are every bit as good as they were in the 80's when I started as a fan and then became an MM. I know that my dad introduced me to corps. Now...I don't really know what draws fans to the stands (which apparently is a shared trait with DCI and DCA boards.)

14 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Very true. I guess what I can't figure out in my head is what has really changed from a fan perspective. The corps are every bit as good as they were in the 80's when I started as a fan and then became an MM. I know that my dad introduced me to corps. Now...I don't really know what draws fans to the stands (which apparently is a shared trait with DCI and DCA boards.)

success. try getting a Yankees ticket. now try getting a Pirates ticket