DCI 2021 Countdown

Unfortunately, the past two times I have gone to the theaters, I have had bad experiences for drum corps.  One theater had the volume very low and another had no AC in a sold out theater. 

The fact that I already have all of these shows and can project it on my wall with control over the sound is reason enough for me to save my money and spend it on live shows this summer (I have already purchased four shows) rather than the theater.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Thanks 2

On 7/12/2021 at 8:31 AM, Hook'emCavies said:

Agreed. I like the idea of bringing back the countdown. I remember it being a fan thing to experience with friends during the spring time in high school. Plus, voting for the corps you want to see and judging them was pretty fun. 

Yes. The old format was much better. Fans were involved in the selections, and voting involved the fans as well. The shows panned decades too. So there were older decade shows up on the screen as well as more recent years performances. Here DCI seemingly said, " Ok, here are a few recent shows we selected for you to watch... all recent... and come out to see them ". No fan involvement. So... we should not be surprised when we find the only people in some of the theatres when the Corps are on the screen this Thursday nite, will be mostly 16-22 year old ushers cleaning the completely empty theatre with vacuum cleaners, brooms and lysol.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Yes. The old format was much better. Fans were involved in the selections, and voting involved the fans as well. The shows panned decades too. So there were older decade shows up on the screen as well as more recent years performances. Here DCI seemingly said, " Ok, here are a few recent shows we selected for you to watch... all recent... and come out to see them ". No fan involvement. So... we should not be surprised when we find the only people in some of the theatres when the Corps are on the screen this Thursday nite, will be mostly 16-22 year old ushers cleaning the completely empty theatre with vacuum cleaners, brooms and lysol.

Yeah, see that confused me at first. I even contacted DCI and asked them if most fans missed the voting portion. They more than likely selected that grouping of shows for the younger audience. But, I could be completely wrong.

2 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Yeah, see that confused me at first. I even contacted DCI and asked them if most fans missed the voting portion. They more than likely selected that grouping of shows for the younger audience. But, I could be completely wrong.

You could not pay me to go to a movie theater. Wife and I haven't been in one in 25 years. No thanks. The big screen TV and home theater system are better. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TenHut said:

You could not pay me to go to a movie theater. Wife and I haven't been in one in 25 years. No thanks. The big screen TV and home theater system are better. 

But you don't get free refills on overpriced popcorn and soda.   🙂

• Haha 1

Some just might have a whole theater to themselves. When theaters started opening a few months ago I went to see a movie and I was the only person in this particular theater. In fact very few people in the whole complex. You could buy popcorn but cold drinks were sold in bottles...no fountain drinks. Some candy and the popcorn was way cheap. In fact I got a medium popcorn in a nice Wonder Women 84 souvenir metal bucket for 5 bucks. 

3 hours ago, TenHut said:

You might want to try going to a modern DCI broadcast in a theater sometime.  Just give it a shot!  It's kinda hard to proclaim "big screen TV and home theater system are better" if you haven't actually seen drum corps in a theater before, or haven't done it 25 years.

Not disagreeing with you or saying your are wrong.  Just keep an open mind.  

1 hour ago, Tommeee said:

You might want to try going to a modern DCI broadcast in a theater sometime.  Just give it a shot!  It's kinda hard to proclaim "big screen TV and home theater system are better" if you haven't actually seen drum corps in a theater before, or haven't done it 25 years.

Not disagreeing with you or saying your are wrong.  Just keep an open mind.  

I have already bought a ticket and am going. I have these shows downloaded though too. But its a way to support the activity. Doesnt look like they'll be more than a handful there at the moment.

• Like 1

As I have said, I don’t see the need to go (I am going to support the corps live in Indy) — but my wife is taking her widowed step-mother who has never seen a live (or theater) drum corps show . Her 92(?) year old step mother, who is a classically trained singer, is very excited! My wife lost her father this year, and this is giving a moment of joy to her step-mom. My wife thinks she will especially enjoy Inferno.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

I have already bought a ticket and am going. I have these shows downloaded though too. But its a way to support the activity. Doesnt look like they'll be more than a handful there at the moment.

I'm going, too.  I bought two tickets earlier this week.  At the time, the theater I'm going to had only sold about 10 tickets so far.  As I said before, I prefer when the theater is packed full of enthusiastic and knowledgeable drum corps fans.  But, whatever.  I share your sentiments.  For me, it's a way to show support for DCI, and hopefully prove to the theater that it's worth it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the additional "live" content will be somewhat interesting.  I have ALL the finals performances on DVD or blu-ray back through 1972, and I have a good home theater setup to experience it all.  But it's still cool to show up at the theater wearing a corps shirt, sitting back, and watching it on a gigantic screen for several hours.

• Like 1