DCI 2021 Countdown

9 hours ago, Liahona said:

I do like all of the shows selected...but I think I'm going to pass on this one...I agree with other posters about fans not getting a chance to vote...Why didn't they just have a LIVE theater performance at the first scheduled show? There is always something extra special about seeing it live IMO...

I would feel more compelled to go.  And I would rather have seen Felliniesque than this BD show.  That’s my favorite. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Truthfully, the last movie I saw was 1917 in 2019. 

That’s interesting.  The last movie I saw was 2019 in 1917.  

I guess a sci-fi film on a wartime budget didn’t make enough of an impression to bring me back to the theater.

• Haha 2

Last I checked, I'm the only person to have reserved seats here in Oklahoma City. My friends and I may have it all to ourselves, but it also makes me wonder if attendance will be sparse almost everywhere... And if it means DCI will lose money on it.

12 hours ago, Liahona said:

I do like all of the shows selected...but I think I'm going to pass on this one...I agree with other posters about fans not getting a chance to vote...Why didn't they just have a LIVE theater performance at the first scheduled show? There is always something extra special about seeing it live IMO...

I agree the voting would have been a good idea and where shows are so few this year, it’s too bad we don’t have a live show broadcast cast in movie theaters. My guess is in both cases it has to do with licensing and broadcast rights. Would it be profitable for DCI to acquire the rights to broadcast a show across the country at a time when many theaters have not reopened and some are still not going to movie theaters? When it comes to voting, where DCI cannot reissue any BluRays and DVD’s prior to 2014, can they be broadcast in cinemas? 

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I agree the voting would have been a good idea and where shows are so few this year, it’s too bad we don’t have a live show broadcast cast in movie theaters. My guess is in both cases it has to do with licensing and broadcast rights. Would it be profitable for DCI to acquire the rights to broadcast a show across the country at a time when many theaters have not reopened and some are still not going to movie theaters? When it comes to voting, where DCI cannot reissue any BluRays and DVD’s prior to 2014, can they be broadcast in cinemas? 

You point out some things I didn't think about..

3 hours ago, skevinp said:

That’s interesting.  The last movie I saw was 2019 in 1917.  

I guess a sci-fi film on a wartime budget didn’t make enough of an impression to bring me back to the theater.

Well, Back to the Future is my favorite movie. XD

26 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Well, Back to the Future is my favorite movie. XD

I didn’t know Cavies were in Back to the Future

My last time in the theatre was the 2019 DCI Preview show. I'm kinda excited to see this tonight. Got my Cavaliers t-shirt on (the one that's big enough to not accentuate the man boobs, not the one I still have from 1979) got my popcorn allowance from the Ayatollah. All I need is a 2015 Crown shako and I'm ready to rip. 

• Haha 1

Big confusion on the money end of this. Does DCI rent the theaters for this show or do theaters decide it’s a good idea and sign up? Just trying to find out who will take a $$$$$ bath on this if the attendance goes down the toilet. And how this will affect next years show….

Edited by JimF-LowBari

31 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Big confusion on the money end of this. Does DCI rent the theaters for this show or do theaters decide it’s a good idea and sign up? Just trying to find out who will take a $$$$$ bath on this if the attendance goes down the toilet. And how this will affect next years show….

I agree - if there is anyone here who understands how these theater broadcasts work from a business/ financial standpoint please let us know.