DCI 2021 Countdown

11 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I agree - if there is anyone here who understands how these theater broadcasts work from a business/ financial standpoint please let us know.   

I keep thinking of one big reason why PBS dropped the DCI telecast. Basically came down to “we can make more money showing something else”. If theaters have a handful of people or less, why would they continue.

Anyone going to the showing in Watchung, NJ ?

45 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I keep thinking of one big reason why PBS dropped the DCI telecast. Basically came down to “we can make more money showing something else”. If theaters have a handful of people or less, why would they continue.

This is why I want answer from someone who knows how these things work.  Does DCI pay the theaters?  How is the admission collected split between theater & DCI?  Are there middlemen involved?  Just curious.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And , from what I understand at the moment , many pledges made to PBS did not materialize .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

And , from what I understand at the moment , many pledges made to PBS did not materialize .

Heard that too, was thinking of that as part of the problem in total $$$$ taken in. Local station went from one big fundraising week or night to couple of times a year for a few hours at a shot. Just put on some 60 or 90 minutes music type show and stick bunch of pledge breaks in it. Pledge breaks even look recorded. 
Lol used to have the phone bank where people could pledge and not follow through. Now you call and you better have your credit card handy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Jurassic Lancer may have called in a large pledge while drinking bourbon.  (See earlier post) :spitting::whistle: 

Yeah off topic but a DC “urban legend” that was true. Late 70s (1978?) Crossmen made Finals and was only PA corps in Finals. Problem was PA (again) was late in passing the budget and local PBS station warned corps fans “if legislators get ready to vote, we will cut to that”. So corps before Crossmen are doing their show and you see Crossmen lining up in the back. And then… “we now go to the state Capitol”. And yep by time station returned to DCI it was well after Crossmen were done. People were calling in to cancel their donations. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Presale ticket report from my three local venues:

1) 4

2) 30 (most popular venue of the three)

3) 11

I was planning to go but had to change plans.  I course, they could "sell out" with walk-ups? 🤔

I didn’t realize it was tonight.  Oops. 🤷‍♀️

• Haha 1