DCI 2021 Countdown

13 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Not the yakkers I the theater. The yakkers on screen. 

Oh, duh me. 😄

Yes, Tammy Faye was incessant. Even that Will Pitts dude was a little much for me. I miss Dennis DeLucia. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Oh, duh me. 😄

Yes, Tammy Faye was incessant. Even that Will Pitts dude was a little much for me. I miss Dennis DeLucia. 

I like him because he realizes most of the audience has been around forever (like him)  and he knows that this stuff doesn’t need this inane microanalysis.  Please stop with that. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

2 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I've said it before, I believe that, from a marketing perspective, DCI is making a colossal blunder by not finding away to have some type of BLL from Indy.

From what I've read here, the opinion of people that "Summer Reruns" wont sell, turned out to be dead on.

Also seems the videos from 2021 camps are what people who went liked the most.

That shows there is a market for live Drum Corps.

I'm, sure if DCI wanted to they could/would find a way to do this.

I agree that from a fan perspective BLL in theatre would be great.

What I don't know (as I have said elsewhere) is how the economics of BLL work.  It costs money to pay camera operators, sound techs, producers, get bandwidth for broadcast, etc.  Plus, there is the question of how does this mesh with the Flo webcast.  And there is the theatre side of the equation.  How much does DCI pay?  How much of the admission fee gets back to DCI? 

Can someone who understands how this works please educate me?

8 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Who was or is the "Tammy Faye" commentator?  🤔

She's the Design Queen for The Academy. Probably knows her stuff, but man is she off-putting.  

• Thanks 1

Before I lodge my complaint with Marcus Theaters, how was the sound at your theaters? Was it a surround sound experience? The live feed segments sounded okay but everything else was absolute crap. I felt like it was being broadcast from a transistor radio in the mop closet down the hall.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The theater in Harrisburg, PA had about 30 people in it.  VERY quiet.  There was some light clapping after Crown, and then silence the rest of the evening.  

Some of the silence was due to the INCREDIBLY low volume.  Low enough, that if you whispered, your whisper would be louder than the big hit in the SCV ballad.  People were quiet, because they were afraid they would miss hearing something.

There was clearly some sort of weird automatic volume limiter system turned on.  When the corps were playing softly, the volume in the theater was actually LOUDER than when the corps were playing loud.  The volume went down so low at the end of each performance, that you couldn't even hear Rondinaro speaking.  It was so quiet, you could've heard a pin drop in the theater.  Terrible.  I would go so far as to say it was the worst sound I've ever experienced in a theater, for anything.

It was still enjoyable to go.  The sound sucked.  But the screen was great.  The Bluecoats and Boston content was worth it, all by itself.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Before I lodge my complaint with Marcus Theaters, how was the sound at your theaters? Was it a surround sound experience? The live feed segments sounded okay but everything else was absolute crap. I felt like it was being broadcast from a transistor radio in the mop closet down the hall.  

The surround sound worked in Harrisburg, but it didn't matter.  It was just the processed volume that sucked.  Again, it wasn't as simple as the volume just being turned down too low.  It was volume that was being electronically limited during loud portions.  There was really no dynamic range whatsoever.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

The surround sound worked in Harrisburg, but it didn't matter.  It was just the processed volume that sucked.  Again, it wasn't as simple as the volume just being turned down too low.  It was volume that was being electronically limited during loud portions.  There was really no dynamic range whatsoever.

I didn’t think it was a matter of the volume being too low. It was more a matter of it just being “off”. Thanks for the explanation. It makes total sense and will be useful when I “speak to the manager” without resorting to Chad/Karen mode. Lol