A Popcorn Eater's view of the 2021 Season

First, great post and observations, Popcorn. I know I've said it before, but I know you're just beaming with pride for your son. Great job in raising a great kid. 

I was thinking not long ago how weird it is as we approach July 4, that (pardon my oldness) BITD, July 4 was thought of, at least in the mid-west where I competed, as the time of year when in the drum corps world, the men started being separated from the boys in terms of judging. Now we're still weeks away from the open of the season. Then I watched several YouTube videos from various corps including links provided by DCP'ers. What I saw was corps after corps and kid after kid doing interviews in which not a single MM griped about a short season, no judging or anything else that a missing season dealt to them. Every single kid was super excited to be back with their friends, grateful for the opportunities that corps give them and just down right happy to be marching again. Every corps member, staff, support units and parents and fan should be extremely proud of these young people. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

It's really short. 

I'm glad there's going to be one. 

I have a kid that saw his first DCI show when he was 9 years old. He was hooked. And after 7 years of competitive Corps, he will be on the podium to salute the Cavaliers onto the field 28 days from now. Had there been no season this year, he would have had to age out and move on. 

I realize my perspective is biased. I don't care. I can't wait to see the 10 shows they will have, either live or on FloMarching. And I can't help but think that having these shows as unjudged exhibitions might produce an even more entertaining result. 

Go get 'em kid. 

Post of the year!  

Congratulations, Dad.  So very happy for you, your son, and all the young people that get to march this year.

• Like 5

Will not add anything to or subtract anything from your original post, well stated! And congrats on your son, I would be very proud too.  Well done. Gonna enjoy the season at the Marion, IN show and could not be more excited!  

• Like 4

I’m looking forward to seeing what this season has to offer. I’ll be attending the three shows in the Boston area as well as Indy. Most likely I will not go to Allentown since it is non competitive and will feature the same corps I will be seeing three nights in a row, but I will be on vacation at that time and could change my mind if I find myself in the mood for a road trip. Drum corps plus Breakfast at the Quakertown Family Restaurant or at Ham-Fam (if the construction that seems to have taken place for the past four or five years is finished) and a side trip to Amish Country could tempt me.

I’m thinking the atmosphere will be more relaxed since it is non competitive but I would not be surprised to see some risks taken since the shows won’t be judged. I do think this year is critical. I understand from a financial point of view being inactive was the best choice for some corps. I also understand why some corps are doing things differently and not participating. For the corps that are participating, this year could be crucial to keeping the activity alive. I have had the opportunity to talk with a few people who are know folks with a number of corps who are enthusiastic about the year but mentioned that getting everything in order and recruiting has been challenging. Pulling off even an abbreviated season is a huge effort.

• Like 2

Couldn’t agree any more.  Thankful my kid isn’t aging out this year but glad even an abbreviated season is happening.  From what I’ve seen at Crown, the kids are working just as hard as any year, maybe even harder since they know no it’s shorter.  I think there is/will be a looseness that non-competition allows that will help shows be more energetic if maybe a little less perfect.  I’m certainly not discerning enough to pick up on slight missteps but I can’t feel the energy differences so it might be even better to me.

Edited by DrummerParent
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Swamptihs said:

Awesome post! @PopcornEater1963

What about all the naysayers now? Logistics, insurance, etc? 

The Kids are marching, time to get out and support them! 

at the time many of those posts were realistic concerns given what we didn't know. now that we know more and it's happening, i am very supportive

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

at the time many of those posts were realistic concerns given what we didn't know. now that we know more and it's happening, i am very supportive

I think it depends on when that naysaying happened. Last year? Sure. A lot was in the air. By this spring? A lot was clear. Vaccinations were moving rapidly. Corps were able to put things in place. 

I got kicked out of the 'drum corps friends' facebook group this spring because one of the admins was on a whole tear about how it wasnt safe for members, and those who disagreed with her got the boot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1