Phantom Regiment 2021 Re upload hd

25 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

Blue Stars? Not sure what happened there. I guess most corps are just trying to field something to gain momentum. Colts’ show sounded like high school marching band. The arrangements this year are either really weak, or the time needed to mature hasn’t been there. In this, Phantom is leagues ahead. The music has been where they really shine and find the excitement. Field show could be better, but it’s still much better than most of what I’ve seen thus far. Looking forward to hearing some of the others performing this weekend on Flo. Out to watch Music City perform here in Nashville tomorrow night before they head out on tour.

PR was in its own class tonight. 

I appreciate you loving Phantom, and I agree they were fantastic. But they were 100% not in their own class tonight. The Blue Stars were absolutely phenomenal tonight. Had this been judged, they would’ve been ahead a few points easily. 

I love the Phantom pride, but don’t knock down other corps who were just as good (if not better) because they’re not Phantom. 

43 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

Blue Stars? Not sure what happened there. I guess most corps are just trying to field something to gain momentum. Colts’ show sounded like high school marching band. The arrangements this year are either really weak, or the time needed to mature hasn’t been there. In this, Phantom is leagues ahead. The music has been where they really shine and find the excitement. Field show could be better, but it’s still much better than most of what I’ve seen thus far. Looking forward to hearing some of the others performing this weekend on Flo. Out to watch Music City perform here in Nashville tomorrow night before they head out on tour.

Can you be more specific about the Blue Stars? It seems like they’ve been getting quite a bit of praise on here tonight.

25 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Can you be more specific about the Blue Stars? It seems like they’ve been getting quite a bit of praise on here tonight.

I’ll go out on a limb tonight and say lack of cohesiveness. The overall product is well staged but it’s lacking continuity. This is not troll stuff just saying the flow seemed a bit disjointed. Putting on  thicker skin now…

Edited by Sutasaurus

24 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Maybe it was the mic placement or the generally crappy quality of the stream, but even my son, who isn’t into drum corps at all, said it felt like, compared to PR, the other groups just spent a lot of time not playing. He did like the Cavaliers’ show, especially the Seal arrangement. I think it was the same for me. The other groups lacked a certain sparkle, and their arrangements didn’t seem to help them shine. Lots of front ensemble. Also, if you’re going to have an amped up bass guitar, why March tubas? It’s just my thoughts. Maybe they’re wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time. 😉

On 7/5/2021 at 6:45 PM, kdaddy said:

They sound young, but...

JD SHAW IS BACK
JD SHAW IS BACK
JD SHAW IS BACK
JD SHAW IS BACK
JD SHAW IS BACK

Bravo!

Sure is nice to hear that wonderful rich Shaw sound again  Give him a couple years and he'll bring back he PR sound 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I’ll go out on a limb tonight and say lack of cohesiveness. The overall product is well staged but it’s lacking continuity. This is not troll stuff just saying the flow seemed a bit disjointed. Putting on  thicker skin now…

I gave the edge to Phantom tonight over Blue Stars  as their show had a slightly better flow to it from start to finish than Blue Stars. Blue Stars, with the large tuba line had a deeper texture, but perhaps at a price, as we couldn't hear the trumpets that well, except in a segment where they featured the trumpets. But why quibble. Both had well designed shows for this summer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PRomoter said:

I did like the Colts closer tonight musically however. Nice beat to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRomoter said:

Maybe it was the mic placement or the generally crappy quality of the stream, but even my son, who isn’t into drum corps at all, said it felt like, compared to PR, the other groups just spent a lot of time not playing. He did like the Cavaliers’ show, especially the Seal arrangement. I think it was the same for me. The other groups lacked a certain sparkle, and their arrangements didn’t seem to help them shine. Lots of front ensemble. Also, if you’re going to have an amped up bass guitar, why March tubas? It’s just my thoughts. Maybe they’re wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time. 😉

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I will be seeing a live show Saturday. PR will probably be my fave because I’m so familiar with the show but I’m looking forward to hearing and seeing what Blue Stars bring to the table. 

6 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

I gave the edge to Phantom tonight over Blue Stars as ...

We aren't doing that this year...

• Thanks 1

Keep in mind that, musically, Regiment has a fully formed show in the most literal sense. That brass book is practically the same one from finals week in 2003.

So by that token, any criticisms of "less time playing" are maybe criticisms of "drum corps in 2021 relative to 2003" and less about the corps (though I'm sure some corps still don't have their final product on the field yet).

• Like 1