Phantom Regiment 2021 Re upload hd

I know all the reasons why this can’t happen every year, but there seemed to be no lack of enthusiasm, sense of urgency, or good performances in this sans-scoring year. In fact, even as a fan, I was able to just relax and enjoy the shows in a way I can’t say I’ve ever been able to in the past. It was really strange…in a good way. That being said, don’t everyone gang up on me to say how that would dilute the competition in the sport. I know. But, for a brief moment in time…

46 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Keep in mind that, musically, Regiment has a fully formed show in the most literal sense. That brass book is practically the same one from finals week in 2003. 

That may well be true, but some of these kids weren’t alive in 2003 and none have ever performed this show before. 

Maybe the shortened prep and design time was a reason to go with something already “focus grouped.”

Either way, it was a great night of drum corps. 

I believe this show will be the catalyst for really great things in the future. The visuals get better every night. 

on a separate note, the sound quality on Flo is really bad. You’d think they’d have figured this out by now. Getting sound right is much easier than video, and can be streamed at a much higher bit rate. 

1 hour ago, PRomoter said:

I believe this show will be the catalyst for really great things in the future. The visuals get better every night. 

on a separate note, the sound quality on Flo is really bad. You’d think they’d have figured this out by now. Getting sound right is much easier than video, and can be streamed at a much higher bit rate. 

Agree. Flo Marching sound sucks.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 11:15 PM, PRomoter said:

Blue Stars? Not sure what happened there. I guess most corps are just trying to field something to gain momentum. Colts’ show sounded like high school marching band. The arrangements this year are either really weak, or the time needed to mature hasn’t been there. In this, Phantom is leagues ahead. The music has been where they really shine and find the excitement. Field show could be better, but it’s still much better than most of what I’ve seen thus far. Looking forward to hearing some of the others performing this weekend on Flo. Out to watch Music City perform here in Nashville tomorrow night before they head out on tour.

PR was in its own class tonight. 

Thanks so much for the insights on the show Friday!!!

On 7/31/2021 at 9:00 AM, Hamburgler said:

That may well be true, but some of these kids weren’t alive in 2003 and none have ever performed this show before. 

Maybe the shortened prep and design time was a reason to go with something already “focus grouped.”

Either way, it was a great night of drum corps. 

Sure. I was responding to the idea that some groups had some weird transitions and some downtime in their show - likely due to the fact that those groups are still implementing their show. Regiment was specifically pointed out for not having this problem, and I was just reminding that they shouldn't - that show is already fully formed!

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

Sure. I was responding to the idea that some groups had some weird transitions and some downtime in their show - likely due to the fact that those groups are still implementing their show. Regiment was specifically pointed out for not having this problem, and I was just reminding that they shouldn't - that show is already fully formed!

You are correct. You should have called me out on that remark. it’s not fair to compare yet. More thoughts below. 

The best seasons PR has had often were very mature by the time they performed the first show, from the music to the drill. JD and Rennick’s work was so good, little of it had to be reworked, and much of the drill design was a matter of cleaning and adding the bells and whistles. That doesn’t mean the kids were performing up to potential by the time competition got underway, but the mechanics of the shows were far along. Seems like that’s an element that has eluded the staff the last several years. If it’s not good in June, August isn’t going to be enough time to fix it. The top 6 continually come out of the gate with much more complete packages from day 1. The money will start pouring in from alum and donors after this year’s show. As much of it as possible needs to be earmarked for the best staff they can get and keep going forward. A staff that understands what kind of show the kids who audition for this corps are looking for. A show like this one. 

BTW, great comments from everyone this year. 

Edited by PRomoter
  • Like 1

Also, here’s something I posted on Reddit in response to “down time,” which I have been told is just my not being accustomed to modern drum corps. 
—————
I guess I’m showing my age, but this is the kind of show that just hits me in the gut. Lots of notes, lots of volume, lack of dependence on the front ensemble, singing, talking, silence or long pauses. I know the opposite is the “new drum corps,” but I also don’t find it entertaining. Art for art’s sake has its place, but it’s place isn’t on a football field filled with brass instruments and Kevlar-covered snare drums. Artistic? Yes! Art that doesn’t stir up emotion and get me on my feet screaming and possibly crying? No! At least, not in my own list of great shows that live on years after they were performed. This show was considered by many to be one of PR’s greatest shows, and, guess what? It still holds up 18 years later. People who never paid attention, or weren’t born in 2003 LOVE this show. I’m droning on and sounding like an old fart, which is true. What do y’all say? I’m tough, I can take it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1