Best Classical as performed by a Drum Corps

Anyone doing Great Gate of Kiev with a company front for the finale has my vote. 

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

How about Einstein on the Beach (Crown 2013)?

Or 1000 Planes on the Roof?

• Like 1

I'm always a sucker for the oldies. 

Just about any Phantom from the 70s/80s. 

Firebird

Petrouchka

Of course Elsa

• Like 2

I believe that when it comes to best overall classical music performance, I feel Phantom Regiment in the 70’s and 80’s deserves the honor. I base this on the variety of works and composers the corps used: Tchaikovsky, Grieg, Dvorak, Borodin, Wagner, Herbert, Beethoven, Handel, Stravinsky, Ginastera, the list could continue, the excellent arrangements at times when what could be done was limited, and Phantom’s ability to excite a crowd. 

No question, SCV handles classical music well.

Regarding individual shows—there are too many to mention, but favorites of mine include two Cadets shows, 2013 and music of Barber and 2014 with some lesser known Copeland (I know, the narration is a bit much for some). 

Though 1991 Star is often viewed as the greatest treatment of Respighi, and I still believe it is one of the greatest overall shows, I’m partial to BAC in 2012 and “Titans” which featured both Repighi as well as Shostakovich.

Crown’s use of Copeland in 2012 was phenomenal and as someone who loves Verdi’s Requiem, Crown’s use of portions in 2015 was performed with a vengeance and power that would have made Verdi proud.

Another moment that cannot be forgotten is Blue Stars 2016 arrangement of the Liebestod from “Tristan und Isolde.” I was skeptical that any drum corps could pull off such a piece but Blue Stars did it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

I believe that when it comes to best overall classical music performance, I feel Phantom Regiment in the 70’s and 80’s deserves the honor. I base this on the variety of works and composers the corps used: Tchaikovsky, Grieg, Dvorak, Borodin, Wagner, Herbert, Beethoven, Handel, Stravinsky, Ginastera, the list could continue, the excellent arrangements at times when what could be done was limited, and Phantom’s ability to excite a crowd. 

No question, SCV handles classical music well.

Regarding individual shows—there are too many to mention, but favorites of mine include two Cadets shows, 2013 and music of Barber and 2014 with some lesser known Copeland (I know, the narration is a bit much for some). 

Though 1991 Star is often viewed as the greatest treatment of Respighi, and I still believe it is one of the greatest overall shows, I’m partial to BAC in 2012 and “Titans” which featured both Repighi as well as Shostakovich.

Crown’s use of Copeland in 2012 was phenomenal and as someone who loves Verdi’s Requiem, Crown’s use of portions in 2015 was performed with a vengeance and power that would have made Verdi proud.

Another moment that cannot be forgotten is Blue Stars 2016 arrangement of the Liebestod from “Tristan und Isolde.” I was skeptical that any drum corps could pull off such a piece but Blue Stars did it.

I agree with your opinion of Liebestod. Not even Regiment has attempted it which is odd as it’s Isolde singing over Tristan’s dead body. Lol

While I don't know specific "classical pieces" played and transcribed for the drum corps, the two corps who have been consistant in presenting "classical" music to drum corps fans are without a doubt (1) Phantom Regiment and (2) Santa Clara Vanguard. My Hat's off recoginition to both organizations for expanding symphonic band to the Marching Arts for all to enjoy.

• Like 2

1990 Phantom Regiment Saint-Saens Symphony #3, the Organ Symphony, has always been on my list of favorite symphonic pieces performed by a drum corps. Actually, their entire 1990 Saint-Saens show with Carnival of the Animals and Bacchanale is wonderful.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 9:36 PM, Rich Cline said:

While I don't know specific "classical pieces" played and transcribed for the drum corps, the two corps who have been consistant in presenting "classical" music to drum corps fans are without a doubt (1) Phantom Regiment and (2) Santa Clara Vanguard. My Hat's off recoginition to both organizations for expanding symphonic band to the Marching Arts for all to enjoy.

Agree. When it comes to classical music, I attribute Phantom and SCV mostly to this genre. Other Corps come to mind as well, but these 2 immediately come to mind when we think of classical music.

Edited by Boss Anova