DCP Forum Behavior

I joined DCP June 4, 2019 and expected reasonable interaction from members regarding show info, show evauation, and inside information about each
organization and an exchange of ideas. What typically followed from some highly opinionated members were post's most of which were "Off Topic" leading to the discussion threads being closed by the Moderators because topics were off topics which caused me to take a break from posting on DCP.

I have also followed https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/ as a secondary source for "Breaking Info". Most posts there seem to be ahead of what gets posted on
DCP. Further, there seems to be much less sniping amongst posters, responders & replys.

Maybe posters on DCP need to rethink what they are posting, I can say that my experience being on DCP has not been enjoyable because other posters seem to be
"super" critical about every little detail that is posted.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There's not that much going on and I think the (unpaid?) moderators do a great job keeping people in line.  I've been out of the activity for decades and have learned much here.  What is not helpful I just ignore. 

• Like 3

I tried Reddit and immediately was accused of enabling sexual harassers. Reason was someone gave very vague accusations on ye old RAMD years back when I was on it and no one went to the police (there wasn’t enough info for the police to go on).

Maybe the act has been cleaned up but saw a lot of (unsubstantiated) claims of corps wrong doing on there. Some turned out to be true but lot of crap throwing before facts came out

And yes unpaid mods here.. I was asked years back to be one but was too busy

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, Rich Cline said:

I joined DCP June 4, 2019 and expected reasonable interaction from members regarding show info, show evauation, and inside information about each
organization and an exchange of ideas. What typically followed from some highly opinionated members were post's most of which were "Off Topic" leading to the discussion threads being closed by the Moderators because topics were off topics which caused me to take a break from posting on DCP.

I have also followed https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/ as a secondary source for "Breaking Info". Most posts there seem to be ahead of what gets posted on
DCP. Further, there seems to be much less sniping amongst posters, responders & replys.

Maybe posters on DCP need to rethink what they are posting, I can say that my experience being on DCP has not been enjoyable because other posters seem to be

Just my opinion.

You’re not wrong, but the drumcorps sub Reddit can be annoying to the extreme as well. Sometimes, one has to sift through the dross to find the gold. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

"This social media crap will be the death of this country" - my late, great, sometimes grouchy Dad. 

Well, I don't know about death, but it's not helping much a lot of the time. I just blow off what I don't like and move on. I've learned a lot from DCPers since becoming a fan again and after being out of things for many years and am grateful there's such a wealth of knowledge here. Are there some harsh critics here? Of course. There are at work, at the grocery store and at the ballgames too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I never marched in a drum corps. But I’ve headed to a few shows every summer since the late 70s. (none in 2020)

I read DCP for the audience’s take on past shows and reactions to the current season. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Rich Cline said:

Just my opinion.

Was his name brasso?

• Haha 1

The DCA side of this tends to be a tad more laid back. A lot of us personally know one another, which helps to a large extent or we both know someone well. I think Jim would agree on this point-- In Westshore, we had a LOT of Smartaxxes (incredibly talented ones but still...). Myself included, well... the whole Bari section. They're still the same folks now. If you take some of what's done and said with the grain of salt that that person is a lot like the one fool on Bus 2 BITD that drove you nuts but you put up with it because your corps didn't need the hole in the drill because you seal clubbed them with your baritone, you can deal with it a lot better. 🍺

• Like 1

I've been on here for the better part of 2 decades. 

It took me until around 2010 to start utilizing the "ignore" feature on here, and since then, the site has been a terrific place to come for info and conversation with nice people who don't act like little kids with their bizarre negative attitudes towards specific corps.  I really appreciate corps with staff who discourage all of that negativity about other corps with their own corps members, and it tends to carry over to the behavior of their fans from what I've seen.  Competition and professionalism don't have to be mutually exclusive, and the vast majority of dci members and fans understand that.  

If you're mindset as a fan is at all like mine, try putting people you find toxic the majority of the time on ignore.  Cancel that noise, and enjoy the show(s). 

I'd also add that Mr. Donovan and all of the DCP staff put a premium on being as non-draconian as possible.  When threads get closed, there's almost always a good reason. 

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1