Box5 working now (least for me)

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

IMO, the numbers are meaningless. judging a show through a high cam view only where there is probably sound editing happening? no thanks

It's far, far from ideal. I'd imagine there's a lot one can do to work the system legally as well, and if I were on one of those teams, I'd be making certain that they were doing that within the rules framework.

You're missing a lot of visceral clues with the presentation for sure. And a lot of times, you're not able to see things in isolation from the box you'd be wanting to dig into more closely- you're seeing what is fed to you from only that perspective. Not easy to come up with a number at all other than what perceptions are given you from that static vantage point... when at times you really need to dig in there and start splitting atoms to come up with a real and honest number that tries to reflect what happened at that contest at that venue in that caption.

All I can say again is that if one is gonna compete within that framework, you have to game it to the max, again, within the rules. For that matter you're doing that live as well- gaming to the sheets there, too. Just my tuppence. You owe it to your membership to make sure they present as best as they can on that video with a quality sound and visual presentation from that fixed perspective.

10 hours ago, BrassTeacher said:

Sound editing is not allowed, nor is video editing

thats a plus at least

On 7/26/2021 at 2:08 PM, BigW said:

Reading their statement, it was also a question to them of whether they felt they could provide the experience they felt they should provide. I'm certain every corps asked themselves that hard question, and it's a matter best left to each corps what the answer was, and I'd be the last to criticize.

Plus there was that whole not owning ther horns and not havings a home showm last year to pay for new ones yet issue....

Do not be surprised if there are a lot of big names not returning to Reading in 2022

4 hours ago, Algernon said:

Plus there was that whole not owning ther horns and not havings a home showm last year to pay for new ones yet issue....

Do not be surprised if there are a lot of big names not returning to Reading in 2022

IIRC, they have two shows. The one in Hempfield and the one in Exeter?

6 hours ago, Algernon said:

Going to ask a serious question here- Hoping Jeff with his banking knowledge might shed some light on this.

My guess is the horns are leased. What's the advantage of this? I know another DCA corps that went to leasing, and when their horns were vandalized, it was the end of the line for that corps. Is the cost that much less to make that so appealing? I have no clue. Educate me, please.

8 hours ago, BigW said:

Going to ask a serious question here- Hoping Jeff with his banking knowledge might shed some light on this.

My guess is the horns are leased. What's the advantage of this? I know another DCA corps that went to leasing, and when their horns were vandalized, it was the end of the line for that corps. Is the cost that much less to make that so appealing? I have no clue. Educate me, please.

i'd have to see the contract

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'd have to see the contract

Understood- is this like leasing a car rather than buying one? Basically, the corps figures they need to replace the horns every x years and this is cheaper to do it that way?

35 minutes ago, BigW said:

Understood- is this like leasing a car rather than buying one? Basically, the corps figures they need to replace the horns every x years and this is cheaper to do it that way?

That would be my understanding ... I lease my cars now because it allows me to drive what I need, for the length of time I need it, at a more reasonable monthly rate than a straight purchase ... The unfortunate vandalism scenario you mentioned was most likely due to poor insurance planning, I would guess ...

21 minutes ago, ajlisko said:

That would be my understanding ... I lease my cars now because it allows me to drive what I need, for the length of time I need it, at a more reasonable monthly rate than a straight purchase ... The unfortunate vandalism scenario you mentioned was most likely due to poor insurance planning, I would guess ...

I believe a combination of very bad timing and no insurance, yes. When a new System Blue Tuba runs about 11k a pop... this gets expensive just for the Tuba section alone. Extend this to the rest of the brass, you're talking a new Aston-Martin prolly.