Show Thread - Friday July 30 - River City Rhapsody - La Crosse

Thank you Blue Stars! I love this music and you guys really captured the joy and celebration of In the Heights. Great debut! 💙💃

26 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Another well done to the BS.  It seems pretty easy to see who wrote a show as if this was a judged season.  No matter and as many have stated,  it's just nice to see D&BC performing on a field again.  

Seems that fun & engaging shows are shows that, in a year with judging, wouldn’t score well. 

Perhaps the judging criteria need revision.  But we can argue this at a future point when we have more of an idea what all the Corps performed this season & how it goes over with the fans. 

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Seems that fun & engaging shows are shows that, in a year with judging, wouldn’t score well. 

Perhaps the judging criteria need revision.  But we can argue this at a future point when we have more of an idea what all the Corps performed this season & how it goes over with the fans. 

If this isn’t the year that corps cater to the fans, then I don’t know what year is. 

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Agree.
But, shouldn’t they cater to the fans every year?

We both have been around long enough to know that doesn’t happen as often as it should. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

For sure, imo.. But I'm pretty sure the Cavaliers wont be going out there next season with just 22 in their Guard as they have out there this summer.

Exactly. I’d expect the Cavaliers in ‘22 to be in the running for a medal. This year was all about fun and crowd enjoyment. Their brass is incredible.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, B-Flat said:

I feel so honored being able to watch a full set of shows.  All the performers did great.

My order from best to less desirable from tonight:

BlueStars (by at least 5 points if this show was judged)

Phantom

Colts

Cavies

Madison

But in the end who cares, as this order is based on my enjoyment. Glad everyone got to march and put some drum corps back on the field.

Had Blue Stars edging Phantom, then a sizeable gap, and then Cavs and Colts in next tier, with a slight edge edge to Cavs over Colts on strength of Cavs percussion, then another gap, and then a rebuilding, yet very solid Madison Scouts. All in all, they all brought good entertainment in their performances in exhibition tonite, imo. Congratulations to all of them for finding a way to put their shows together in such challenging times.

• Like 1

‘Twas a lovely evening in La Crosse. Beautiful weather, fantastic venue with rolling hills in background, and an engaged audience.

Parked on State Street then walked to the stadium a few blocks away thru a few warmup percussion blocks. Stayed far away and kept moving.

Concessions served only a few items: large cookies 2 for a dollar. Candy bars. Soda. Water.

Many helpful yellow-shirt volunteers.

Hit the souvies: bought tour shirts of Cavaliers and Madison. Grabbed a discounted Call of the Wild shirt from the Blue Stars.

On the field, LOVED the subtle first flags used by Madison. I always read TOO much into the look of what’s on a corps flags! But it was very clever having the abstract M on the silks. When the flag is held one way, the M is readable. But spin that pole, and suddenly the M becomes a W. Just as Madison is now coed, ONE flag represents EVERYONE.

Designwise, the circular stage in the Cavaliers show is likely a nod to the Rosemont water tower.

I did not care for the Blue Stars tarp. At least 8 staff taped the rectangle subway map to the turf ahead of the show. But the music was lush and had me boppin in the stands. The post show encore of In the Heights music and Autumn Leaves (edit: should be La Vie en Rose) was wonderful.

In the Heights is not a current Broadway show. Sure, there is the film. The stage version closed several years ago, yet it played in the same theatre where Hamilton plays - the Richard Rodgers.

The Colts sounded GREAT, but not a fan of the color scheme. Some of my favorite miked soloists of the night.

Favorite show was Phantom Regiment. 
Thank you for the goosebumps.

Nightcap at Taco Bell.

Edited by DeanInChicago
  • Like 3