Anyone Attend the 30 July Ogden UT Show?

Just on Flo. Missed the Mandarins as the WI show was wrapping up, but the most pleasant surprise in my eyes were the Troopers. They were powerful and ballsy. Best of all, they wore traditional Trooper headgear with the new unis. Blue Knights were off the charts. They blew me away and could have been my favorite corps across both shows. I've never been a big fan of theirs for years and years, but they knocked it out of the park. Entertaining and solid up and down. I'll catch the Mandarins on the replay later. 

• Like 1

Just finished watching Mandarins. Not anywhere near as dark and mysterious a program as seen in past years. Lots and lots of props. I was more impressed by the Troopers myself, but like all of them, give them a chance to win me over. 

Did this particular feed or videos seem to play a bit choppy for anyone besides myself ?

Edited by theonlyfizzle

2 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Did this particular feed or videos seem to play a bit choppy for anyone besides myself ?

Yes, the WI show was flawless- great sound and video. The UT show was very choppy for most of the night. This was my first time with Flo so I'm hoping the past negative reviews here on DCP do not cause issues. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

I only watched the Blue Knights. It seemed to play fine for 3 beats and then it would hesitate for one beat. Then play fine for the next 3 beats and hesitate again. At least it was consistent. And since it was the Blue Knights it made me think that they were doing 3 regular steps and then they threw in their old preparation step. When they would throw a flag, it would spin normally for three beats and then freeze for a beat and then continue it's rotation. If I wasn't able to see the humor in the situation I would have been really upset with the quality. Glad the Wisconsin show wasn't like that. I might try watching a little of the rebroadcast tonight to see if it effected the whole broadcast.

• Haha 1

We were on the 50, 7 rows up. We usually go to the Stanford and San Antonio shows. This ended up being our best option for live drum corps within driving distance. 

Batallion was new to us. Hometown show plus hometown crowd. Huge standing ovation and very happy corps. Big smiles at the end. They're young, but have great potential for the future. 

We'd seen Mandarins rehearse in Reno a few weeks back. I like the approachable music and the step up in horn power on the night. Using the THX sound wave to test their speakers gets a great response. 2 visual concerns. Putting a tarp on the field always draws an eye to potential trips. All good tonight. And during the last piece, dozens of Frisbee are thrown towards backfield. But as frisbees get tossed, we kept waiting for a corps member to get beaned in the head. Not show related, Mandarins didn't sell merchandise tonight. We were ready to make an investment, but not to be tonight. We'll do it online once the store reopens after Indy. 

Troopers were the big surprise for us. Gold horns, New (yet traditional) uniforms and a dark, angry sound. By far the loudest corps of the night. Really, the loudest we have ever heard the Troopers play on the field. Playing like they have something to prove. For some reason, they were the only corps not to play any encore tunes. Can't lie, we were hoping for Battle Hymn. They still got our souvenir money tonight. 

Blue Knights were solid as you would expect. Another approachable show. Wonderful World is a nice balad for the field. Very sparkly uniform for a night under the lights. And the classic BK encore will always be a winner. 

Great evening and a great venue. We'll be back. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1