Why no scores?

1 hour ago, Gantang said:

What does the pandemic have to do with not judging a competition. I just saw that Biles won a Bronze. Did the judges not know there was a worldwide pandemic since 2020.

That's quite a non-sequitur. 

You mean winning a bronze at the 2020 (but held in 2021) Olympics? No judging was one of the possibilities discussed months ago when no one knew for sure there would be any corps shows. Big question was would corps be able to have the time needed to get a competitive show together or how many people would try out. I’m watching DCA and some of the corps are smaller than 2019. IMO DCI didn’t want to have 2 seasons with no corps so took an option to at least get the corps back in the public eye.

i have judged every corps had something i liked. good enough for me

i have judged Flo. Box 1

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gantang said:

What does the pandemic have to do with not judging a competition. I just saw that Biles won a Bronze. Did the judges not know there was a worldwide pandemic since 2020.

That's quite a non-sequitur. 

The pandemic killed the 2020 season entirely.   The continuing pandemic made several major corps decide to not have a 2021 season as well BD, SCV, BDB, SCVC, and several others).  Corps that DID decide to go out started late due to the continuing pandemic, and venues were questionable in the first place...due to the pandemic.

Thus, DCI decided to go with a shortened exhibition season....due to the pandemic.

So no....it's not non-sequitur at all.

• Like 2

While there's still 8 days for what could be many things that go wrong with the Delta variant, so far, it looks like to me that DCI (for all the bashing we give DCI)) got this absolutely right - along with all the corps that have pulled rabbits out of the hat to make this season shockingly successful & enjoyable.  I have no problem with DCI not going to the extra expense of judges.  I love what many corps have taken advantage of this year to either push boundaries or reconnect and reinvigorate their fans, alumni bases and make this a whole lot of fun for the members.  Let's hope we can still say that by the end of next week.  I know I'm super excited to enjoy live drum corps in Indy next week, and could care less that it's not judged.

Now, don't get me wrong, I can't wait for 2022 and the return of judged competition.  I just think this was a brilliant bridge to 2002, restarting the activity with a lot of enthusiasm.

Harvey

I have yet watched a complete Flo production.  Have only pulled up five corps and Boston is the only corps I've watched twice.  I'm not excited about getting my "DCI fix".  Whether it's the short season, no scores, some corps not participating, Flo, etc., it's just not happening.  Next viewing will be next Thursday to see how "finals week" is being done.

On 8/5/2021 at 6:12 AM, 84BDsop said:

The pandemic killed the 2020 season entirely.   The continuing pandemic made several major corps decide to not have a 2021 season as well BD, SCV, BDB, SCVC, and several others).  Corps that DID decide to go out started late due to the continuing pandemic, and venues were questionable in the first place...due to the pandemic.

Thus, DCI decided to go with a shortened exhibition season....due to the pandemic.

So no....it's not non-sequitur at all.

That doesn't explain the INABILITY to judge. They simply chose not to judge, which means the pandemic didn't prohibit judging...DCI did. 

12 minutes ago, Gantang said:

That doesn't explain the INABILITY to judge. They simply chose not to judge, which means the pandemic didn't prohibit judging...DCI did. 

so? be glad theres anything at all

• Thanks 4

10 hours ago, Gantang said:

So you mean to keep a group of judges in a bubble and judge only the same grouping of corps over and over? AND corps (andDCI) don’t want ANYONE not from the corps bubble near the corps members, staff, volunteers, unless you have followed their protocols.  Another point is there is no need to have the added cost for judges when the point of this year is to get corps on the field and fans in the stands.   That’s more than enough reasons enough for no judging.  Plus who gives a xxxx there’s no judging.  Just sit back, enjoy and pick your favorite.  These shows are amazing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2021 at 9:55 AM, LabMaster said:

So you mean to keep a group of judges in a bubble and judge only the same grouping of corps over and over? AND corps (andDCI) don’t want ANYONE not from the corps bubble near the corps members, staff, volunteers, unless you have followed their protocols.  Another point is there is no need to have the added cost for judges when the point of this year is to get corps on the field and fans in the stands.   That’s more than enough reasons enough for no judging.  Plus who gives a xxxx there’s no judging.  Just sit back, enjoy and pick your favorite.  These shows are amazing.

So, you're saying they chose not to judge this season, not that they couldn't because of a worldwide pandemic?

The CDC says that to be exposed you have to be within 6 feet of an infected person for 15 minutes of longer. How could a judge meet that criteria? So, is it the added cost, or COVID? Lastly, are you saying that fans wouldn't filled the stands if the shows were judged?

You chose to be offended by a simple question followed by explanations because the no judging doesn't seem logical on its face. Why so defensive? I don't care if they're judged or not I was seeking clarification because my life doesn't revolve are drum corps 12 months a year.

2 hours ago, Gantang said:

So, you're saying they chose not to judge this season, not that they couldn't because of a worldwide pandemic?  Not what I said.

The CDC says that to be exposed you have to be within 6 feet of an infected person for 15 minutes of longer. How could a judge meet that criteria? They could if you don’t have them in a controlled environment (bubble).

So, is it the added cost, or COVID? Added cost;  when the decision to have this season was made months ago when conditions were different. 

Lastly, are you saying that fans wouldn't filled the stands if the shows were judged?
Nope, didn’t say that either.

You chose to be offended by a simple question followed by explanations because the no judging doesn't seem logical on its face. Why so defensive?  Not defensive, just explaining a POV. I don't care if they're judged or not I was seeking clarification because my life doesn't revolve are drum corps 12 months a year. Obvious.  But this was generally known and explained months ago.

I don’t want to get into an argument going round and round with you.  If you can’t understand why there is no judging for this unusual season, no amount of explanation is going to clear that up.  Stomp your feet about judging, but everyone else will totally enjoy all these performances without it.

• Like 3