Biggest 2021 Surprises & Delights?

Just because there's no competition, that doesn't mean we can't have our favorites, and the corps which are surprising/impressing us the most during this season. Tuesday night the next batch of corps will hit the field. Which corps -so far - has been a big positive surprise for you??

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Just because there's no competition, that doesn't mean we can't have our favorites, and the corps which are surprising/impressing us the most during this season. Tuesday night the next batch of corps will hit the field. Which corps -so far - has been a big positive surprise for you??

Phantom Regiment! Madison has been a pleasant surprise too. Anxious to see Cadets. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Phantom Regiment! Madison has been a pleasant surprise too. Anxious to see Cadets. 

I'm with you on Regiment & Scouts! Can't wait until to hear your thoughts on Cadets...

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 3

Since GD Dixon (I know what I did there) only asked for positive thoughts, I’ll give the BS a 👍.  Mainly because most of the others........................... (Just using a loop hole to allow me our 1st amendment rights.)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Biggest surprise - Troopers, without question. I described them earlier as powerful and ballsy. I haven't seen that out of them in eons. Maybe it was the controversy around the previous management, maybe it was just some really good recruiting and show design, but they made a very strong statement to me all the while holding on to some sacred traditions. 

Delights - I'd have to say everyone. I haven't been disappointed in any corps so far all the way down to Colt Cadets and last night I caught Gold at the Rose Bowl. Every corps has surpassed all expectations. Special shout outs though to Phantom, Cavaliers, Blue Stars and Blue Knights, a couple of those which I have not been particular fans of in the past. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Biggest surprise - Troopers, without question. I described them earlier as powerful and ballsy. I haven't seen that out of them in eons. Maybe it was the controversy around the previous management, maybe it was just some really good recruiting and show design, but they made a very strong statement to me all the while holding on to some sacred traditions. 

Delights - I'd have to say everyone. I haven't been disappointed in any corps so far all the way down to Colt Cadets and last night I caught Gold at the Rose Bowl. Every corps has surpassed all expectations. Special shout outs though to Phantom, Cavaliers, Blue Stars and Blue Knights, a couple of those which I have not been particular fans of in the past. 

the members' fortitude has really impressed me!

• Like 3

It’s nice to see a lot of enthusiasm for Phantom! They sound and look much better than in past years, which is especially impressive considering the short season. It’s exciting to see them starting to climb back to where they historically should be.

Also, shout out to the Blue Stars. Maybe it’s the larger than normal hornline, but they sound great. Plus, their visual program is always great, and this year is no exception. 

Really, I’m shocked and elated by all the Midwestern Corps. They all have strong programs during a year that I didn’t think there would be a lot to be excited about.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

the members' fortitude has really impressed me!

Indeed, especially when I look at Colt Cadets. It takes a lot of guts to field a corps in any year competitive or not with no guard and just the percussion battery alone outnumbering your horn line. 

Edited by OldSnareDrummer
  • Like 2