Parking Lot Etiquette 2021

Just to keep things in perspective, Massachusetts, the state with the second highest percentage of people vaccinated had an outbreak where anywhere from 750-950 people tested positive for Covid. It occurred in Provincetown on a rainy July 4th weekend. Provincetown is on the tip of Cape Cod and more than other towns on the Cape, becomes congested in summer months. Most of the business establishments are in older buildings which I would assume are not well ventilated. Whether the higher number of those who tested positive is accurate or whether the lower number is, all sources are saying two things. One, about 75% of the people who tested positive were vaccinated, but most did not have serious symptoms, only seven were hospitalized and no one has died. Details about those not vaccinated are sketchy.

On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday I will be at outdoor shows in Massachusetts where I can assume 63.75% of those in attendance have been vaccinated, at least statistically, but next week in Indy, I’ll be in a state where only 44% of the population has been vaccinated. I am not changing my plans about attending the shows, but I am rethinking some things. I love Shapiro’s, but it is horrendously crowded. Do I mask up for LOS? Will I go to the Indiana State Fair on the Wednesday before the shows as I usually do? I do not wear masks anywhere unless mandated to do so here in Massachusetts or in Maine or New Hampshire, the only two states I have traveled to since 2019, and based on the few times I ever get a cold that puts me in bed or the flu, I have a good immune system,  I’m not sure I’ll feel as comfortable in Indy. 

If I managed a drum corps and worked to create a bubble, and knew the corps would be performing in states with low vaccination rates, also realizing unvaccinated people are ignoring mask mandates and CDC recommendations, I’d probably want outside interactions to be as minimal as possible. 

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Just to keep things in perspective, Massachusetts, the state with the second highest percentage of people vaccinated had an outbreak where anywhere from 750-950 people tested positive for Covid. It occurred in Provincetown on a rainy July 4th weekend. Provincetown is on the tip of Cape Cod and more than other towns on the Cape, becomes congested in summer months. Most of the business establishments are in older buildings which I would assume are not well ventilated. Whether the higher number of those who tested positive is accurate or whether the lower number is, all sources are saying two things. One, about 75% of the people who tested positive were vaccinated, but most did not have serious symptoms, only seven were hospitalized and no one has died. Details about those not vaccinated are sketchy.

On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday I will be at outdoor shows in Massachusetts where I can assume 63.75% of those in attendance have been vaccinated, at least statistically, but next week in Indy, I’ll be in a state where only 44% of the population has been vaccinated. I am not changing my plans about attending the shows, but I am rethinking some things. I love Shapiro’s, but it is horrendously crowded. Do I mask up for LOS? Will I go to the Indiana State Fair on the Wednesday before the shows as I usually do? I do not wear masks anywhere unless mandated to do so here in Massachusetts or in Maine or New Hampshire, the only two states I have traveled to since 2019, and based on the few times I ever get a cold that puts me in bed or the flu, I have a good immune system,  I’m not sure I’ll feel as comfortable in Indy. 

If I managed a drum corps and worked to create a bubble, and knew the corps would be performing in states with low vaccination rates, also realizing unvaccinated people are ignoring mask mandates and CDC recommendations, I’d probably want outside interactions to be as minimal as possible. 

I agree. of course those that raised many of he concerns raised here and in society in general were called haters and accused of wanting drum corps to die.

it is what it is. accept, abide by it, and enjoy what we have so it doesnt get ####ed up for everyone next year

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

yes, wear your mask indoors, unfortunately many non-vaccinated people do not. Vaccines are not 100%

19 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Hood gosh.  The masking rules are coming back because of continued disbelief COVID is real or disbelief vaccines work or disbelief there isn’t a microchip being inserted of disbelief someone isn’t taking freedom away.  How about the possibility that you may be wrong, COVID is real and to FINALLY have drum corps we have some really simple simple rules to follow?  We used to follow rules when we marched, it’s not to hard to do so now.  You cannot get closer to corps than they will allow you to be.  Just go with it for 2 weeks so nothing is jeopardized.  It’s not much to ask.  Please stop being so adversarial and just go along with it.

Yes, this

And it's not practical to assume everyone would follow the rules in the lot or by the busses.  Every parent or booster could think in their head, "I'm different.  I don't have it.  I want to see my son, my daughter, my niece, what have you."  This is a process.  Let's be thrilled we can sit in the stands and watch these amazing performers and shows (or watch on line).  We won't die not being able to see warm ups in the lots or friends or family members by the busses for 2 weeks. It's a great bargain to make to get to enjoy DCI this year & keep the performers as safe as possible.

As far as Indy, I think, (still deciding), that I'll mask up.  I haven't been a lot here in Dallas since being fully vaxxed, and haven't had COVID that I know of (but could have & been asymptomatic).  But, that's a mix of a lot of people from a lot of different areas and backgrounds.  Just similarly to masking up this weekend, going to ground zero in Florida for a wedding this weekend, masks make sense, and make a difference.  ANY of us who are vaxxed could have an asymptomatic Delta Variant COVID and be completely oblivious while we pass it to others...

Harvey

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TexasPRfan said:

Yes, this

And it's not practical to assume everyone would follow the rules in the lot or by the busses.  Every parent or booster could think in their head, "I'm different.  I don't have it.  I want to see my son, my daughter, my niece, what have you."  This is a process.  Let's be thrilled we can sit in the stands and watch these amazing performers and shows (or watch on line).  We won't die not being able to see warm ups in the lots or friends or family members by the busses for 2 weeks. It's a great bargain to make to get to enjoy DCI this year & keep the performers as safe as possible.

As far as Indy, I think, (still deciding), that I'll mask up.  I haven't been a lot here in Dallas since being fully vaxxed, and haven't had COVID that I know of (but could have & been asymptomatic).  But, that's a mix of a lot of people from a lot of different areas and backgrounds.  Just similarly to masking up this weekend, going to ground zero in Florida for a wedding this weekend, masks make sense, and make a difference.  ANY of us who are vaxxed could have an asymptomatic Delta Variant COVID and be completely oblivious while we pass it to others...

Harvey

Yep numbers going up around here and Delta might be a good part of it. Only good news is if you get it while vaccinated you don’t get it as bad (see Lindsey Graham). But if you don’t realize you are sick you could pass without realizing it. 
Starting to have handful of disposable masks and wipes in the car again. if I was going to Indy those would be in the list of stuff to pack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep numbers going up around here and Delta might be a good part of it. Only good news is if you get it while vaccinated you don’t get it as bad (see Lindsey Graham). But if you don’t realize you are sick you could pass without realizing it. 
Starting to have handful of disposable masks and wipes in the car again. if I was going to Indy those would be in the list of stuff to pack.

I will be the guy in the top row of section 141 wearing a Bluecoats mask, even though it clashes with my 2-7 alumni jacket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

The Bloo Lancers?

Bah dum dum. 

Since I will be wearing my alumni jacket and a Bloo mask, how about the Lancercoats?

21 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Since I will be wearing my alumni jacket and a Bloo mask, how about the Lancercoats?

Only if you're whistling "Niner Two".  My first experience watching drum corps in high school in Birmingham, Alabama; loved the Lancers... 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1