East Coast Showcase - Quincy MA August 3 Show Thread

Fantastic job by Boston! It was neat to see a show with the large video panels. I like it and can see this becoming a thing. Sadly one of the 4 panels was out so we didn't get the full effect. I must say that this might be one of their best brass lines, and certainly the most demanding book I have heard them perform. There are a lot of notes in that book, and they play them well. Great balances in the brass and percussion. The guard seems very talented and I likely need another read on their book. Very effective writing but I look forward to seeing their performance outfits. The ballad in this show is just gorgeous. Great to see Boston back on the field and there is no doubt this corps will be a force in 2022 during a competitive year. 

By the way, as I was writing this I was listening to Boston play Conquest during their Encore and OH MY!...what a great arrangement of that tune. Again the brass line was just spot on! 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Tony L. said:

So happy to hear the positive feedback on the Cadets.  Seeing the show live was my main reason for my last minute decision to go to Indy!  Can't wait to see the. Live.  

The Cadets look and sound spectacular! You will not be dissapointed when you see them. The show has many goose-bump moments. I'd say it's definitely my favorite show of the summer to this point. Of course I am loving just about everyone this summer, but as of now if I had to pick a favorite it's easily The Cadets. 

• Like 8

I just marvel at what each Corps that decided to produce a show for its students and us fans this summer has provided. Tonite had it all, in my opinion.  Tradition and a nod to the past as well as some new explorations and risk taking.  The Corps marchers deserve a better audio transmission of their performances than what Flo Marching is currently delivering so far this summer however.  The sound of these brass lines is FAR better than what is currently being transmitted from Flo. This can not, and should not, be future tolerated by Corps, DCI, nor fans. These performers are 1st rate. They deserve a 1st rate broadcast of their performance. But this is not it.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Spirit of Atlanta was wonderful! What a beautiful show. I love the uniforms. They have a Blue Devils vibe to them. I need to look up the music but I enjoyed those arrangements. 

I didn't catch every piece, but the one that stood out the most for me was "Remember Me" by Thomas Bergersen. Believe we've heard this a couple of times in the marching arts, but this may be the first in drum corps.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

I just marvel at what each Corps that decided to produce a show for its students and us fans this summer has provided. Tonite had it all, in my opinion.  Tradition and a nod to the past as well as some new explorations and risk taking.  The Corps marchers deserve a better audio transmission of their performances than what Flo Marching is currently delivering so far this summer however.  The sound of these brass lines is FAR better than what is currently being transmitted from Flo. This can not, and should not, be future tolerated by Corps, DCI, nor fans. These performers are 1st rate. They deserve a 1st rate broadcast of their performance. But this is not it.

I think part of the issue with the sound (coming from Flo Marching) is the use of compression. I'm certain they are using a limiter on the master mix, but they are likely using compression too. Too much compression however will result in a squashing of the sound. You could tell when some of the corps were playing at full level and the audio would lose volume and the mix would lose the high end and low end. It's not easy to mix outdoor performances like this where the volume levels can be extreme and I realize they do not get much of a sound check to really fine tune the levels. I continue to say though that they need to move the mics back away from the front sideline and go more with mics in the stands (mid and high). That's a tough setup because you have to reserve a few sections for them except for the mics above the press box area. 

• Like 2