East Coast Showcase - Quincy MA August 3 Show Thread

2 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I think part of the issue with the sound (coming from Flo Marching) is the use of compression. I'm certain they are using a limiter on the master mix, but they are likely using compression too. Too much compression however will result in a squashing of the sound. You could tell when some of the corps were playing at full level and the audio would lose volume and the mix would lose the high end and low end. It's not easy to mix outdoor performances like this where the volume levels can be extreme and I realize they do not get much of a sound check to really fine tune the levels. I continue to say though that they need to move the mics back away from the front sideline and go more with mics in the stands (mid and high). That's a tough setup because you have to reserve a few sections for them except for the mics above the press box area. 

A few sections?  Nah -- just a few seats.  Keep the mics on poles (12-15') and clamp the pole to the bench or seat back.  Yeah a few fans get stuck with the mic or pole in their line of site.  Give them a free hot dog.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Okay everyone now so good so good so good 

In my section we sang along!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Spirit of Atlanta was wonderful! What a beautiful show. I love the uniforms. They have a Blue Devils vibe to them. I need to look up the music but I enjoyed those arrangements. Love the tree props and the guard was excellent. This show has legs considering it is not real clean. Hope they can clean this for Indy. The crowd will love this show!

If I had to compare this to any other show I would say Regiment’s Into the Light meets Crown’s The Grass is Always Greener. There was a magical vibe that even came through via the Flo broadcast. As a side note the announcer’s “two thousand AND 21” throughout bugged me. Lol. 

Edited by Brian Tuma

I was watching but also multitasking.

1. Crusaders Alumni: Great classics, big numbers

2. Spirit of Atlanta: not dropping a beat in their quest to crack the top 12 again in the near future.  Well designed show with lots of drill call outs to past shows.

3. Music City: I love this corps since they were charming in Open Class and glad they made the jump.  They're smaller but have a solid and charming program again that should keep them bouncing back.  I was particuarly worried for Music City and Genesis having been 'newly up' and how the lost year would hit their financials and membership recruitment, but they're doing good!

4. Cadets: So good good good to see them back! The show is a treat for all the "old school Cadets" memories. I'm betting by Indy we see those 'perfect scissor legs' going again in those white pants. And the percussion is still running well! Brass is so much better than 2019.

5.  Bloo: I wasn't sold on "Beatles part 2" when announced, but it's super entertaining and another great arrangement of tunes pulled together in creative ways.  Something Bloo staff does so well when designing. I'm glad they're doing it in the non-competitive year though TBH as I'm ready for whatever Bloo pushes next.

6. BAC: I could hear the sighs and giggling from Tarpon Springs all the way up here in DC.  I think it was 'screen 3' for them that was the perpetual offender though.  But there was always one that gave them fits.  It was also annoying that the high cam coudn't get a shot with the corps and the screens for most of the show. So I couldn't get a strong sense of what they're doing with them.  But it seems odd to have so much of the staging so far from the screens rather than integrate them into the show more...dunno.  Probably will read better at another venue.   The guard is not fooling around. Non-competitive year or not, they're out there to lay it down. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh and Spirit of Atlanta.  I so much want to see this show clean and grow.  Frankly if they came on the field with this next year again and added, swaped in tunes, or layered it out for a competitive year I would not mind.  The Bottle Tree motif has a TON of rich themes to explore and unwrap.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Oh and Spirit of Atlanta.  I so much want to see this show clean and grow.  Frankly if they came on the field with this next year again and added, swaped in tunes, or layered it out for a competitive year I would not mind.  The Bottle Tree motif has a TON of rich themes to explore and unwrap.   

My thoughts exactly! I posted earlier about how I would love to see this show develop over the course of a full season. It definitely has the bones for a competitive program. 

15 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

My thoughts exactly! I posted earlier about how I would love to see this show develop over the course of a full season. It definitely has the bones for a competitive program. 

I wonder if this was the program Spirit had planned for 2020.  The closer really stays with you.  It’s a shame the south is left out of the tour but I get it. I would love to see it live. 

• Like 1

i look forward to seeing all of these shows with better sound and video.

• Like 4

All of these corps exceeded my expectations.Judged or not, it had the feel of a mid season show with the corps improving nightly..The Cadets blew me away...Bloo is as Bloo does(fine performance)..Boston, barring technical difficulties, is visually innovative and sounding solid...All in all, the EAST is well represented this year..Hopefully 2022 continues this revived drum corps excitement!..peace

• Like 1