East Coast Showcase - Quincy MA August 3 Show Thread

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I know they’re not competing but it still ices you standing there.  Been there. Done that. 

yup a ton of drops in a talent laden guard is a case in point - very uncharacteristic for them

• Like 2

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

In person.  That’s probably the only way that’s going to happen. 

I'm so excited for Allentown!!!

• Like 2

A few thoughts from the show...I was on the 50 four rows beneath the press box.  Spirit exceeded my expectations. They had a big sound and I thought they moved well. The tree lighting at the end was a nice effect.  

I have to say that I'm not very familiar with Music City. They were the smallest group of the evening but they performed well and I thought the various circle props were effective.

Cadets were next and frankly a real treat. I love the classic look from them, and their staff obviously has taken great care to have those kids wear those classic uniforms correctly.  It occurred to me that most drum members these days have probably never worn a shako before. Cadets looked great and marched very well; even if they are still on the wrong foot! 😁

Bluecoats were next, with tons of GE. Lots of cool colors and body. Even though I am 61, I found that I didn't recognize much of their show but that has to do with the arrangements.  The members of this corps are great performers.

Boston was on last and delivered a very strong first show. A glitch on one of the panels didn't seem to get in the way. For the record, most of the corps can't see them during the performance. The consensus in the crowd seemed to be centered on what is arguably BAC's strongest hornline ever and the continued dominance of the guard. The tech glitch and lack of guard uniforms are both supplier issues.  The drum corps itself seems to be well prepared for the season and I can't wait to see what tonight brings!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, KCWolfPck said:

So much distortion in the Flo stream during load passages. Wish they would just turn the mic gain down. 

12 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Minus Flo, that might have been a good brass moment.

12 hours ago, Dpsouthern81 said:

It’s like Flo has never done this before lol

12 hours ago, KCWolfPck said:

Yes….so much distortion. Ugh.  Why is it so hard?

12 hours ago, Dpsouthern81 said:

Every single stream since Friday has had audio issues. 

12 hours ago, George Dixon said:

yeah the sound is horrific

Seems like Flo is overextending themselves by trying to cover so many shows.  I would much rather they just do Saturdays and do them right, as opposed to streaming #### every day of the week.

Since these are exhibitions with a very short season, I personally don't see a need to pick anything apart here. I was able to watch Music City, Cadets, and Bluecoats last night (on Flo). I thoroughly enjoyed them all! I was watching pretty casually.

Music City showed a lot of maturity and they sounded pretty good! Kept trying to figure out what was going to happen next with the hoops.

Cadets - great to see the full uniform back, and to hear those classic tunes, arranged pretty well without too many jarring edits/transitions. Couldn't hear some of the recorded audio. They sounded and looked pretty great.

Bluecoats - what can't they do? Really tasty arrangements, a phenomenal guard. They want you to know that they're still on top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craiga said:

Cadets were next and frankly a real treat. I love the classic look from them, and their staff obviously has taken great care to have those kids wear those classic uniforms correctly.  It occurred to me that most drum members these days have probably never worn a shako before. Cadets looked great and marched very well; even if they are still on the wrong foot! 😁

I thought that was just me seeing that and a Flo/sound thing with the wrong foot, but maybe not. There's got to be a reason for that. George, any insight?

I didn't quite get the huge log cabin looking prop either.

But otherwise...incredibly fabulous corps. Cadets are at the top of my Must See Again and Again list. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tommynev said:

What is the prop that Cadets have and what are they doing in it? I couldn't tell because of the camera angle last night.

It's possible it's supposed to resemble an attic, as if someone were discovering these Cadets arrangements/recordings for the first time?   as in "Everything old is new again"

Edited by ykw
  • Like 1