East Coast Showcase - Quincy MA August 3 Show Thread

19 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I thought that was just me seeing that and a Flo/sound thing with the wrong foot, but maybe not. There's got to be a reason for that. George, any insight?

I didn't quite get the huge log cabin looking prop either.

But otherwise...incredibly fabulous corps. Cadets are at the top of my Must See Again and Again list. 

I was just kidding. Cadets have marched on the right foot for decades and I noticed them doing it again last night.  I also notice they were using the reverse roll technique on the backups, another Cadets innovation going back years.  Sorry...drill guy here!😁

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ykw said:

It's possible it's supposed to resemble an attic, as if someone were discovering these Cadets arrangements/recordings for the first time?   as in "Everything old is new again"

I think something like that is correct.

I also couldn't really see what was on Bluecoats' ramp props, due to the glare, but it probably doesn't matter.

4 minutes ago, craiga said:

I was just kidding. Cadets have marched on the right foot for decades and I noticed them doing it again last night.  I also notice they were using the reverse roll technique on the backups, another Cadets innovation going back years.  Sorry...drill guy here!😁

For real?? How could I have never noticed that before? Maybe because I'm a clueless drum guy and all I ever knew was marching up and down the 50 yard line like a robot. Thanks for the clarification. 

24 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

For real?? How could I have never noticed that before? Maybe because I'm a clueless drum guy and all I ever knew was marching up and down the 50 yard line like a robot. Thanks for the clarification. 

Seriously? You never knew this? 

35 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Seriously? You never knew this? 

I swear up and down I didn't know that. Doofus me. What's the reasoning behind it? 

I found my answer on an old DCP thread. How bout that? The things you learn on here. 

huskerman15 said:
Two questions: Exactly why do the Garfield Holy Name Cadets of Bergen County step off with their right foot? What chain of events led to that decision?

That's pretty much it. Thanks!

I once overheard Zingali explain to a fellow performer that right foot step off was common in dance and it was applied to the Garfield Cadets. He realized, early on, that the demands being placed on the performers eclipsed military marching.

The "toes together" approach while at standstill was/is incorproated simply to smooth the visual line of the performer when in a static position. It offers a cleaner vertical line. On the down side, it also takes away some stabilization for the performer.

Edited July 24, 2009 by Scooter Pirtle

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ykw said:

It's possible it's supposed to resemble an attic, as if someone were discovering these Cadets arrangements/recordings for the first time?   as in "Everything old is new again"

That’s what I told Jim because he wasn’t sure what it was either.  As someone who has looked through my own drum corps memorabilia over the years, I felt it added a lot of poignancy to the show. 

2 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

When it was announced that Denise Bonfiglio was taking over as Director,  I knew the Cadets would be back. She does not tolerate mediocrity. Cadets will take the crowd favorite award at Indy. 

They certainly could. I think Phantom Regiment will be in that mix too. They have been wonderful this summer. I guess Crown is not going to Indy. I must have missed something there but their show was really wonderful and fan friendly. Boston and Bluecoats are just amazing but both shows are more progressive, yet still very fun and engaging. Cavaliers are definitely putting a lot of fun on the field, so they will be in the running. And I caught most of Blue Knights last night and man that is a fun show too. But at this point, just in terms of  fan favorites, I might put the odd on Cadets and Phantom with Cavaliers and BK in the mix. 

FYI Flo has highlight replays of Boston, Blue Coats and SOA up now. No sound on the Blue Coats. What the heck is point of having it up there? Sound for BC/SOA is crappier than the live stream was. Glad I got Flo this year, but certainly starting to fully understand peoples' frustrations.