A Popcorn Eater's Guide to the Galaxy

Well...not the Galaxy. To Drum Corps. 
Well...not Drum Corps. Just the first 3 days of the Midwest Combine. 
Well...not really, because of COVID protocols I only got to see Cavaliers live (from the track not a seat), and Phantom Regiment from the back ( while waiting to load on with the Cavaliers). 

But all those restricting qualifiers added in...I'll say this: 

1. It is beyond refreshing and inspirational to see the light in these kids' eyes, the smiles on their faces, and their dedication to this activity. I may not have seen them all on the field yet, but I see them in the lots, on the way in and out of the stadium, in the porta-john lines, etc. Exceptional young people that have turned out for the love of performing, not a number on a score sheet. But to that end...

2. Don't tell these kids they aren't competing. Because they are! They're just competing for what they SHOULD have been competing for all along...the reaction of an engaged audience. If you don't think for one second that they don't want to "raise the bar" from the Corps that just went on in front of them or to "set the bar" for the Corps that goes on behind them...well...I got some beachfront property in Dubuque, IA I'll be glad to sell you. 

3. Speaking of Dubuque, IA. There's a pool hall/dart bar/bar-and-grill there called the "Dog House" a mile from the stadium. Best cheeseburger I've had in a while. Friendly people too. You should drop by. 

4. Okay...back to Drum Corps. The inevitable "who would win" threads are already in high fire, which I guess is fun but really a moot discussion. If Corps were "in it to win it" this year, Phantom wouldn't be rehashing an 18-year old show, the Cavaliers would have never stood still that much, etc. It's kinda the point of no judges. Do stuff you want to do because you can because NEXT year you're back on the caption sheet and rewriting brass books and drill at 3 a.m. 

5. Walked by Madison as Cavaliers were exiting in one of the three shows this weekend. I've always loved the Scouts. I hope they are on their way back. 

6. Haven't seen any East Coast corps yet except for the fabulous Carolina Crown production with Avagadro's number of marchers. They sounded fantastic! 

7. Being a Cavaliers homer, I think they are going to have that show singing (no pun intended but maybe it should have been) by Indy. Lot's of energy. Lots of smiles. Sprinkled in silliness. I have a funny feeling they'll have the crowd toe-tapping. 

8. Crowds are fickle. It's amusing to see pretty much the same show get disparately different reaction 3 nights in a row. 

I hope to see some DCP'ers in Indy. Be safe! Stay away from the Delta, and let's get back to "real" in 2022 while enjoying the entertaining curve ball of 2021. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I saw what you did there. Funny how you mention a pool hall in Dubuque what with the Lida Rose thing the Cavaliers do. Oh you got trouble in River City. 

#8 does seem true. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3