East Coast Showcase -- Lawrence, MA -- 8/4

Bluecoats...just WOW! That is an extremely complicated show for a short season with less spring training and less winter rehearsals. Amazing that they have pulled this off. The show is definitely more cerebral than the 2019 production but it's full of wonder and groove and some excellent musical moments. The guard is just fantastic! So many features for them. The soloists are solid. I think Boston may have the better brass line but Bloo brass sounds pretty darn good and clean. Hard to say for sure since I am not there live. I enjoyed the show more tonight. There is a lot going on so this production by Bloo will take some time to get into, but as a total show count me in as super impressed. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 5

Boston members and staff feel good about tonight's show.  Brass perc and guard all had a great night in front of their biggest crowd yet.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Question:  Both DCI & Flo show that there will be another program tomorrow night in Lawrence at the same stadium with the same group of corps.  Any of you know if that Is correct?

It is the very same DCI performing corps.

• Like 1

Yes, another show in Lawrence with the same corps as tonight, but I suspect different order of appearance.

• Like 1

Just a few comments about the corps performing tonight:

Overall this is a nice format for corps to get back to the field for themselves and fans.  Bravo to all orgs. to figure out how to make it work.

Music City:  nice show and a really nice brass line.  Lots of hoops.  Lots! The future is bright for MC.

Spirit:  love the corps look.  Not clear on the shows story.  The trees are nice and lighting one at he end is really cool.

Cadets:  Love Simple Gifts.  Always have whenever Cadets play it.  Love Rocky Point.  For me it drops off after that.  Percussion is terrific.  Snare and toms are great.  Found myself not paying any attention to the attic because of the uniforms.  Hard to take your eyes off the unis.  They ARE soooo nice and make a clean form seem cleaner.

Boston:  Sorry but I am a fan and biased.  Brass line is their best ever.  Percussion greatly improved over 2019.  Guard, nothing more needs to be said.  A m a z I n g!!  They will be smoking in Indy.  Overall nice show, technical, difficult.  Lots of fast tempos that seem to go unnoticed.  They fly…Zoom. Fun show too.  And video worked so the experiment continued.  Guard in red looked great but color seemed muted under the stadium lights, and it isn’t really.  It is a vibrant red.

Bluecoats:  I recognized all the tunes but heard some folks say they didn’t realize they were playing Beatles again.  ??? How could you not? Brass is very good but maybe a bit overamplified?  Seemed very loud the entire production.  I know we like loud, but that was a bit much for my ears.  Percussion is excellent.  Guard was good but I didn’t notice them as much as I kept watching brass and percussion.  Lots of prop movement.  Gets distracting.  Just no audio relief for me.

The shows and performances are very very appreciated after such a long DC drought.  All the mm’s are amazing as are the staffs and volunteers.  Thank you to all of these corps for bringing a smile to so many fans.  All standing O’s are well deserved.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Flo sucked a lot less visually. Audio eh

• Like 1

I’m gonna be the downer on the bluecoats sorry ya’ll! 

but I think it is even more guilty of being a very park n bark show than 2019 was. Yes there are some great moments on the move  but on the whole it’s a lot of choreography and not a lot of marching and playing. They stand still on those platforms for a long time!

Anyway the design is wonderful I will give it that and it is very seamless as they are known for. Session 44 was my favorite mix of all visual and musical moments for them.

There is a lot of clarity in that brass line, however the pure volume seems a little less - could be flo!

Edited by WarriorWay
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Question:  Both DCI & Flo show that there will be another program tomorrow night in Lawrence at the same stadium with the same group of corps.  Any of you know if that Is correct?

5 hours ago, LabMaster said:

It is the very same DCI performing corps.

5 hours ago, craiga said:

Yes, another show in Lawrence with the same corps as tonight, but I suspect different order of appearance.

When did the August 4th show CHANGE to Lawrence???  I thought that show was going to be in Lynn Lynn the city of sin...lol...I'm not complaining, just curious why they changed it...of course it probably was changed long ago and I was just not paying attention...