East Coast Showcase -- Lawrence, MA -- 8/4

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Sign me up to "I hate the video screens" crowd - and I'm using the word HATE here. Very distracting, enormously prone to error, and high cost of ownership. Nothing but a design crutch IMO - I'd rather them save the $$ and reduce member fees - we already have way too many screens in our lives

I could not agree more.  Somehow, DCI needs to rein in the arms race (electronics, more and more mics and speakers, props and now Video).  The pandemic & the budget challenges almost every corps has had should have been an opportunity to reset, and build rules that support that reset.  While 3-5 corps might have the $$$ to keep pushing the arms race forward - I question the value of the impact on the product, and it will inevitably pressure others to step it up - and we will lose more corps because of it.  Even more so to me, it just dilutes the amazing magic of the product - marching, playing, emotion and amazing acoustic moments that move the soul and are magical.  

Remember when a lavish corps budget was $1M- $1.5M?  Now the top end lands in the $3M - $5M range.  The arms race is just not sustainable - especially in these uncertain times.

Look at how everyone has reacted to Cadets this year - that product is still the heart and soul of drum corps, and it doesn't require an arms race.

Just my 2 cents - flame away...

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Overall the show was fantastic last night. I look forward to another run tonight. My FLO feed was better last night. Audio did not drop in and out like the night before. They may have had the compression set better so when the brass and percussion levels get higher the compressor does not over-react. The mix between pit and field is still not great, but often this is the case even when you see the corps live. It seems the designers/audio mixers like a heavy bass and all the mallets to be loud and cutting over the brass. I prefer they be blended under the brass and battery percussion. You simply cannot have 3 equals, and many would argue the pit is becoming too dominant. At its core, fan are still going to be mostly interested in the sounds emanating from the field by battery and brass (drums and bugles). This isn't to say that the mallets and other pit instruments can't have their moments. They should. But when brass and battery need to be dominant it too often feels they are not. The sound coming from the front is just overwhelming more times than not. So in fairness to FLO, this clearly creates difficulty in balancing and streaming to thousands over the internet. 

Jonathan, as usual, I couldn't agree more.  The pit amplification is too aggressive with almost every corps the last few years and it detracts from the amazing sounds being generated on the filed.  Listening to the audio from shows over the last 20 years, it's night and day - and most noticeable in softer moments where we used to get amazing accoustic moments from the filed.  The pit being over amplified really takes away from that magic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Yikes.  Glad to know how you really feel.  No problem with that.  Just as an FYI, something like this has undoubtedly been discussed by designers, and now everyone can see what they can and can’t do. Give BAC some credit for stepping up and testing this for real versus it being an idea that is only on paper.  Never really knowing.  They’ve learned about error, which we’ve seen with amplification over the years and that has improved.  I wouldn’t view it as a crutch.  That infers they need it to get over the hump of never ending visual shortfalls.  That is not the case with BAC.  It is a look at increasing visual interest for the screen generation. $$ is not the issue as the screens are leased I believe.  They don’t own them. No one could afford these size screens.  A criticism has been their “distraction”.  Last night I found the moving of ramps in Lucy far more distracting.  I hardly noticed Cadets attic because I was so locked in on their uniforms.  I just look at it all as great shows performed exceptionally well.

It was proven obvious in BOA with Tarpon Springs- was an unmistakable disaster 

I don't have a strong opinion either way on Boston's screens, but I will mention that there have been some groups in WGI that have used them to TREMENDOUS success as an additive feature in their shows. The groups that have used them effectively have spent a few years developing their usage of them, so I do see this as an experimental year for Boston in the sense that they have the same opportunity to see whether it does/doesn't work for them, and if there is promise there, it gives them to the opportunity to evaluate what changes would need to be implemented to further integrate or utilize them in an effective way.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Yeah, I saw that. When they close the chest, almost as if to say "we have reflected on the past, but now we must move on" and then put on their Garfield jackets and walk to the door to stare into the future, you get the sense that the corps will be looking for the next thing. Whatever that it. It may mean moving away from the uniform. I would be fine with costumes every other year, or 2 out of 3 years, but I am hoping that at least once every 2 or 3 years we get the Cadets uniform. 

I don't know how you could look at the cadets in their unis this year and want to see them wearing spandex or some other stupid costume. They look 100 feet tall in hats and shacos not to mention how great white pants look with a clean drill. I never want to see the cadets go away from what they did this year

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

I don't know how you could look at the cadets in their unis this year and want to see them wearing spandex or some other stupid costume. They look 100 feet tall in hats and shacos not to mention how great white pants look with a clean drill. I never want to see the cadets go away from what they did this year

Did I say that is what I want, or did I say that if that is the direction they are going to go then at least give us the traditional Cadets look every other year or so. I always prefer the Cadet uni. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:
18 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Cadets have everything a drum corps fan could want. From the stoic classic of Appalachian Spring to the jazzy, swinging next to last number that I can never remember the name of. Bravo once again, Cadets. You amaze. 

Far and Away. John Williams.

Hey, know what? That was a Van Morrison tune I was talking about. The jazzy swinging one right before the parade formation thing they did to the Williams number. Moondance was the song and come to think of it I remember the corps shouting let's moondance or some such. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Musicman1084 said:

I will mention that there have been some groups in WGI that have used them to TREMENDOUS success as an additive feature in their shows.

Success in an indoor, smaller venue and lighting environment is not the same as that of a football field indoor or outdoor. Making the field smaller with props or backdrops might help, but reduces the performance area. Bluecoats have shown that color, size, height and mobility is better suited for the performance venue. Personally I’m not a big fan of props unless fully integrated and designed to be an integral part of the production. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Did I say that is what I want, or did I say that if that is the direction they are going to go then at least give us the traditional Cadets look every other year or so. I always prefer the Cadet uni. 

One of the cool things about drum corps was everyone had a look.  Now, I don’t know  who the hell I’m watching at the beginning of the season.  And some of these costumes are awful. Sorry, but they are.  One in particular from 2019 comes to mind but I’ll just keep that to myself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2