East Coast Showcase -- Lawrence, MA -- 8/4

52 minutes ago, Dpsouthern81 said:

They really need a live support person for each show. What’s the point of telling them when the read your email the next day?

Exactly. I was just shocked they actually responded tbh.

i took a Flo break tonight...glad i did.

and the screens do nothing for me

9 hours ago, Den8uml said:

Overall for the night in person: 

Bloo has the most complete show and would dominate visual and GE if scores existed. Would score well above everyone else for a win. 

Bloo would probably eek out a brass score over BAC  but this is a much improved BAC brass 

BAC would win guard scores. They put on a riffle clinic! Bloo guard is very clean but BAC has high level of difficulty and also pretty clean.  

BAC also has the best ballad which was beautiful   

I’m no drums expert so no opinion there , to me they all sounded  good  

I really enjoyed all the corps and my first in person show in 2 years! 

I was a late decider to attend and would agree with most of  this assessment . Cadets were a wonderful throw back tradition based show that was a huge hit with the audience tonite with songs and drill  that legacy fans especially instantly recognized and loved .Cadets also have a wonderful conductor as their DM on the podium . She is a treat to watch conduct her Corps . It was great to see the Cadets return to their iconic uniforms and shakos and their corps colors they had displayed for 7 decades with pride . We sat next to a few cadets Alums and asked them if the Cadets will keep these tradition based uniforms for next season , and they said they were not sure , but rumors are this was just for this season . They seemed a bit disappointed if that becomes the case . Nevertheless , tonite”s audience loved their show and look on the field from the Cadets . I enjoyed their show and look as well . Fantastic job Cadets . Nice to see that a tradition based corps in both attire , visuals , and music can still get the young and old alike on their feet in enthusiastic approval, and the marchers there ,(  some looking to me to be as young as maybe even  13, 14 ) sure looked to me like they were once again enjoying themselves there at the Cadets as well. 

Bluecoats and Boston were both at entirely different levels of modern sophistication , ingenuity and marcher maturity and performance levels . Bluecoats 1st half of their show is rather slow in development musically . I wanted a bit more brass playing there .  But then the 2nd half kicks into gear and the show becomes a wonderful musical and visual treat from there  to the end . The Guard is very good this summer and  the  brass and percussion is as well in what one would expect from an upper tier DCI  World Class Division corps . I expected a lot from the Bluecoats going in , knowing their pedigree , and except for a bit of the 1st half of the show , I was not disappointed and neither was the New England audience that loved the upbeat repeat of Beatles songs performed in a very creative and well arranged manner .  Their brass soloists featured  at the closer were cool cats that were terrific . Bluecoats show was quite the enjoyable trip I thought . Loved their show .

Boston had their hands full following well received Cadets and Bluecoats shows , but except  for the screens electrical glitch ( again ) , the Corps delivered . I had seen their show on Flo already , but not live , and glad I went and saw them live . They were a musical and visual treat from start to finish  . Their Brass  and Guard were the best of the night in my opinion , and the Guard is truly other worldly in terms of performance ability . Boston’s brass  soloists we’re outstanding as well . Boston also brought the house down with their closer, They  were better than I expected going thru the gate this evening . They have the look, sound ,  and feel of an upper tier DCI Corps now  , and will probably  be a competitive force in medals contention soon in the coming years after watching this terrific performance earlier tonite from Boston . 

Music City was small in numbers on the field , but they had a nice funky show musically with nice colors with the Guard and with a new look and vibe  from them from recent editions . Colorful modern uniforms from Music  City too . Nice drum line battery as well I thought . Spirit of Atlanta also had a new look and vibe from them that takes a bit getting used to in their new whites attire , but they demonstrated a good brass line and also a very large Guard that performed very well . The Guard  was integrated into their show very well I thought too  . Percussion seemed very solid to me as well in their tier level . The tree lights up at the end of their show in their prop , and was a cool feature to their show I thought . 

Boston Srs also performed in exhibition and played well the old classics from the 60’s from their Corps . They have sharp looking uniforms , and it was refreshing to see an Honor Guard prominently displayed in performance . It was announced that their DM since their beginning in the early 90’s was retiring after this performance and he was given a huge appreciative applause by the drum corps fans both before and after his corps performance . 
  The rain held off and so it was a very large and enthusiastic audience that gave each corps a well deserved reception to each performance by the 6 exhibition Corps that each brought their own unique offerings to their show performances . Boston had an on field practice after their show performance  and invited those who wanted to to stay and watch We did for a bit . It appears they are adding some additional features into their show . They were adding one new feature on what appears to be a Guard saber soloist around the battery that they now bring up to the front sideline in their show . People ask about the screens . I found them interesting , not distracting , and it adds adds some color palette to a show that is already pretty  spectacular as the marchers make it so . Boston keeps the screens off to the side , so one can watch what’s on there or not . I glanced at them here and there  , but it was the on field performers that mostly kept my interest , not the screens . Anyway , that’s my review of what turned out to be a wonderful show from all the Corps that were there . Kudos to all these corps around  the country  this summer . What they were able to put together for shows during these most challenging of times is truly remarkable . I was glad I decided to attend at pretty much the very day of the show with chances of rain during the show being about 50-50% .  If you have the chance to see these Corps live , you might want to do so . Flo marching does little justice at all to what I saw and heard live earlier tonight . 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i took a Flo break tonight...glad i did.

and the screens do nothing for me

Ditto on the break. First night since tour started that I went to bed not still all wired up from watching drum corps and couldn't get to sleep and I slept like an adorable little puppy last night. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Den8uml said:

Overall for the night in person: 

Bloo has the most complete show and would dominate visual and GE if scores existed. Would score well above everyone else for a win. 

Bloo would probably eek out a brass score over BAC  but this is a much improved BAC brass 

BAC would win guard scores. They put on a riffle clinic! Bloo guard is very clean but BAC has high level of difficulty and also pretty clean.  

Mostly agree with you here. Maybe BAC takes brass, Cadets maybe take percussion. That aside there is no doubt that if there was judging this summer Bluecoats would easily win and I don't think it would be close. The total visual and GE along with strong performance captions would be too much for any other corps. We are all lucky to be seeing some wonderful complete and entertaining shows this summer, but the Bluecoats didn't just put together a full production that is entertaining -- it's quite complex and layered and they are marching the heck out of it. Boston is right there though. Their visual program is simply not as complete and they are doing some experimentation with the panels. And again, we have to keep in mind that every corps this summer is really trying to achieve a unique thing. Most of that is non competitive. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Unfortunately, I won’t be seeing any in person drum corps this year.  Second year in a row.  Maybe next year. 🤷‍♀️

Hope you and Jim don't lose your Blast Zone seats.

For what it's worth.. which is not much.

"Thank you for letting us know that the sound went off during the Boston Crusaders performance. 

I can confirm that our team had an audio issue during this time. Our team was able to resolve the issue during the steam. We do apologize for the inconvenience. I'll go ahead and pass along your feedback.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,
Hector S.
FloSports Customer Care"

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Mostly agree with you here. Maybe BAC takes brass, Cadets maybe take percussion. That aside there is no doubt that if there was judging this summer Bluecoats would easily win and I don't think it would be close. The total visual and GE along with strong performance captions would be too much for any other corps. We are all lucky to be seeing some wonderful complete and entertaining shows this summer, but the Bluecoats didn't just put together a full production that is entertaining -- it's quite complex and layered and they are marching the heck out of it. Boston is right there though. Their visual program is simply not as complete and they are doing some experimentation with the panels. And again, we have to keep in mind that every corps this summer is really trying to achieve a unique thing. Most of that is non competitive. 

When we post  “ so and so corps would win if this was scored and it would not be close “, it’s not acknowledging that none  of these shows were designed to be assessed in this fashion ( I did then notice you acknowledged this in your last sentence , but only after assessing who would have won ). Cavaliers would not have gone out with 22 in Guard this summer if they knew their mostly park and bark show would be judged and placed . Otherwise , about 8 other corps would top that and it “ would not be close “. Crown with 182 allowed on the field this summer would likely have topped both Bluecoats and Boston if this was scored and it “ would not have even been close “. But they won’t have 182 , nor 60 Guard on the field next summer in competition  Blue Stars won’t have 96 Brass , and Boston likely won’t have glitch screens , ( how do judges even judge these types of video screens  in competition where the  images on them  could easily change every show on them .. Lol ) nor Cadets and Phantom doing retro shows from their past and in their iconic attire and shakos . It will be completely different  up and down the line in 2022 once BD and SCV return after 2 years off from competition . By then judges return and corps staffs will design shows with different sized  corps sections and with more sophisticated designs and more marcher demand in performance back in vogue and all judged again in competition format .  I want so much to see and hear Phantom Regiment and the Cadets do retro shows again next summer and look like they do this year when judged in competition again . But I doubt we fans will see such delightful retro shows from them next season . Hope I am wrong in this , as both won over a lot of fans this year with these type of music and traditional marching shows over the more modern shows  that judges seem to like and reward  .  I know what the fans scoring would have been last nite  if this was scored by them and  “ it was not even close “ as to what they seemed to prefer in types of show designs and music and attire and headgear and in guards and in marching , etc last night from my vantage point anyway . But this will all change next season when show designs and demand and newness and performance excellence will be judged as priorities to be rewarded again and corps staffs as such will design their shows likely with that principally in mind .

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1