East Coast Showcase -- Lawrence, MA -- 8/4

2 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

I just don't get this argument. Does it really matter that everyone is recognizable at the first show?  Can you REALLY not figure out who you're watching by a schedule, program, annoucement?   I saw Spirit's and Bluecoat's costumes online and now I immediately know it's Sprit and Bluecoats when I see pictures of them from other shows.  

Did this same outcry happen back in the day happen when the guard stopped wearing uniforms that were similar to the hornline and drumline?

WGI has a great fan base.  I never see arguments that drumlines and winterguard are not recognizable at first sight by a costume.  Everyone is completely different every year. There's no Music City Mystique costume or Pride of Cincinnati costume.  People look at the schedule of performances or hear the announcement prior to the show starting.  

I can understand not liking the more show specific costumes compared to traditional band uniforms. I just can't understand why not recognizing who is who is brought up as an issue over and over and over again.

Geez, calm down.  Even women are allowed an opinion. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Geez, calm down.  Even women are allowed an opinion. 

There were men who expressed the exact same opinion as I did on this thread, yet you chose me to chastise.  It happens a lot on here and I’m not surprised that I’m the only one who noticed. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

There were men who expressed the exact same opinion as I did on this thread, yet you chose me to chastise.  It happens a lot on here and I’m not surprised that I’m the only one who noticed. 

Wow, No. I didn't read this entire thread and only the last page.  Stop making things about gender.  My statements stand.  

2 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

Wow, No. I didn't read this entire thread and only the last page.  Stop making things about gender.  My statements stand.  

Well, you should read the other comments before jumping on my back and then, I wouldn’t think you’re a misogynist.

I’m glad your statement still stands.  Still don’t care. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Haha 2

it does.

I, on the other hand, have no beef about costuming when done well. I mean is there even a "Mandarins traditional look" anymore?  They had the purple jackets with shakos for some time but the "oh this must be the mandarins" is now marked by "wtf are they wearing and why is it so dark and creepy?"  So they can change it every year as much as they want within that "keep Sacramento weird" vibe.  Heh. 

We've had comments this year about "Oh Troopers look like Troopers because of the hat" but also talking about the half long coat, deconstructed sleeves, and generally dark tone.  If they were to take off their hats, "That's the Mandarins isn't it?" would probably be said more than once. it's been said about the show itself already (which I think is a brilliant twist on the usual Troopers out west as the calvary...this time they're the desperados!)

But other corps have their 'look' PR with helmets, cadets with cream pants and shakos, Cavies Aussies and standing man. etc.  

But take Bloo, they've shed the Bloocoats look entirely. And Crown, the cream uniforms with shakos that marked their rise are gone too.  If they were to show in those uniforms again, people would be "who is this?" a lot.  Bloo has made the dapper custom look really work since 2016.  Crown has made their verve distinctive in new, but entirely flexible ways as well. 

In the end, I think the design of the shows can ALSO stand in for recognition where some of us are just used to seeing the uniform do that work for us.  

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 8:11 PM, Liahona said:

I really liked that guard guy from Bluecoats singing national anthem...what a great voice IMO.

I didn't hear who was singing.  Yes, he did a great job.  Last night, the BAC Seniors sang along.  So cool.

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Good question. I think many are wondering this. With the more traditional approach to drum corps it all depends on how well it is constructed and performed. I do think Phantom and Cadets are set to recruit really well. Others too. I think Spirit has been a big hit, along with BK, Cavaliers, Blue Stars, Music City, etc. I think Madison has something to build on too and may recruit well for next year now that people can see what they are doing. But when it comes to uniforms vs costumes and tradition vs modern styles I think it's anyone guess what happens. I don't think the top tier corps will change much. Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Crown, SCV will continue to be who they are. Boston and Cavaliers will continue to push them for top spots. 

The expectation is apparently that after 2 years of no field shows , that BD and SCV will return as if 2 years of absence from field shows never  happened . I understand that sentiment and it’s likely true . On the other hand , neither Corps has been forced to take 2 years off from producing and performing in field shows like this ever before for them in their DCI years . It’s likely that both corps will have almost an entirely new membership in their ranks than they did 2 seasons ago . They both typically receive other corps talent that were out in judged field shows the last year or two . But that dynamic will change as they will be auditioning marchers that did not compete in  field shows the last  2 years , and others may stay put in corps that were out with field shows this season and that’s a new dynamic too . There has been some changes in both corps management and in instructional staff ( although the core staff still remains in both  ) it’s easy to assume both Corps will be right back to their championship levels  form in both marcher talent and show designs in 2022 . But the fact neither Corps has been through 2 years of inactive field show productions ever before  ( while their peer groups were out practicing and performing together this season ) should not be just dismissed as something BD and SCV are accustomed to , and have a track record of  being unaffected  by such absence and what those around them did . The fact of the matter is , such field show inactivity is both challenging and unprecedented for them of not 1 but of a 2 year duration. I believe they likely will return as if they never left in terms of show design and performance excellence . But I do not share that it’s any certainty at all due to the sheer unprecedented nature of this  . We will just have to see how this inactivity from field shows for 2 seasons plays out in any residual effects when they return to field shows in 2022 .. 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Oh I love that. 

Lots of current members and future members praising the recognizable uniforms as well as the identity/connection (on Reddit) they provide to the corps - I think it's the so-called designers who are anti-uniforms and anti-tradition. Self-serving fluff IMO. The current Cadets seem very proud and happy to wear the M&G

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

The expectation is apparently that after 2 years of no field shows , that BD and SCV will return as if 2 years of absence from field shows never  happened . I understand that sentiment and it’s likely true . On the other hand , neither Corps has been forced to take 2 years off from producing and performing in field shows like this ever before for them in their DCI years . It’s likely that both corps will have almost an entirely new membership in their ranks than they did 2 seasons ago . They both typically receive other corps talent that were out in judged field shows the last year or two . But that dynamic will change as they will be auditioning marchers that did not compete in  field shows the last  2 years , and others may stay put in corps that were out with field shows this season and that’s a new dynamic too . There has been some changes in both corps management and in instructional staff ( although the core staff still remains in both  ) it’s easy to assume both Corps will be right back to their championship levels  form in both marcher talent and show designs in 2022 . But the fact neither Corps has been through 2 years of inactive field show productions ever before  ( while their peer groups were out practicing and performing together this season ) should not be just dismissed as something BD and SCV are accustomed to , and have a track record of  being unaffected  by such absence and what those around them did . The fact of the matter is , such field show inactivity is both challenging and unprecedented for them of not 1 but of a 2 year duration. I believe they likely will return as if they never left in terms of show design and performance excellence . But I do not share that it’s any certainty at all due to the sheer unprecedented nature of this  . We will just have to see how this inactivity from field shows for 2 seasons plays out in any residual effects when they return to field shows in 2022 .. 

Those are some excellent observations. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Lots of current members and future members praising the recognizable uniforms as well as the identity/connection (on Reddit) they provide to the corps - I think it's the so-called designers who are anti-uniforms and anti-tradition. Self-serving fluff IMO. The current Cadets seem very proud and happy to wear the M&G

They should be proud. I couldn't imagine wanting to march Cadets and not being able to wear the Maroon and Gold (and cream pants). The future will be interesting.