East Coast Showcase -- Lawrence, MA -- 8/4

Probably an unpopular opinion, but here goes. I love upholding traditions as much as anyone, but if becoming a born-again fan after more than a decade away from the activity showed me anything it was that even in drum corps, sometimes you have to let go and roll with the changes. Not saying at all that the Cadets need go all-in WGI or Bloo quirky, but I wouldn't say no to a uniform upgrade. Not that I have a say anyway. I'm probably the only person in the world that liked the black cadet uniforms. At least it was a change and was something different. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

There were men who expressed the exact same opinion as I did on this thread, yet you chose me to chastise.  It happens a lot on here and I’m not surprised that I’m the only one who noticed. 

That seems to happen to you a lot. Men - what pigs! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jwillis35 said:

They should be proud. I couldn't imagine wanting to march Cadets and not being able to wear the Maroon and Gold (and cream pants). The future will be interesting. 

well with actual grown-ups in charge in Allentown now I'm finally not worried about their future. If they do a show which works with the M&G then use it, if it doesn't really fit then sideline it for a year (but like Cavaliers) carry the extra set for parades / retreats...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Lots of current members and future members praising the recognizable uniforms as well as the identity/connection (on Reddit) they provide to the corps - I think it's the so-called designers who are anti-uniforms and anti-tradition. Self-serving fluff IMO. The current Cadets seem very proud and happy to wear the M&G

I completely agree…

IMO It’s the adults running the activity that’s messing things up.... For accolades, profit...(sponsorship deals)  ?   

• Like 1

Just now, Triple Forte said:

I completely agree…

IMO It’s the adults running the activity that’s messing things up.... For accolades, profit...(sponsorship deals)  ?   

adults with very large egos to offset small other items I suppose

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

That seems to happen to you a lot. Men - what pigs! 

As a dude I've certainly notice a pattern here as to the way females are treated vs. males

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

well with actual grown-ups in charge in Allentown now I'm finally not worried about their future. If they do a show which works with the M&G then use it, if it doesn't really fit then sideline it for a year (but like Cavaliers) carry the extra set for parades / retreats...

Or just carry one set of uniforms.  They fit the show this year, fine.  I hope to see the Cadets push forward next year without the traditional band uniforms unless they're truly doing another throwback show.  Waste of space and resources to keep a second set of uniforms on the truck, fitted, etc. for a few parades.  

16 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

Or just carry one set of uniforms.  They fit the show this year, fine.  I hope to see the Cadets push forward next year without the traditional band uniforms unless they're truly doing another throwback show.  Waste of space and resources to keep a second set of uniforms on the truck, fitted, etc. for a few parades.  

disagree - you should talk to a member or two

Giant video screen, massive speaker arrays or gobs of props could be considered a "waste of resources"; valuing one's legacy is not IMO

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

disagree - you should talk to a member or two

Giant video screen, massive speaker arrays or gobs of props could be considered a "waste of resources"; valuing one's legacy is not IMO

Yep, done!  Two of my students are marching there this year. They’re having a great experience!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

Yep, done!  Two of my students are marching there this year. They’re having a great experience!

Glad to hear it- that’s what matters in the end!