2021 Design Question

None , except perhaps seeing 2 Corps do tradition based shows with minimal props and music they played before . I enjoyed Cadets and Phantom Regiment , but I have no illusions that they would have done these types of shows here in 2021 if this was scored competition. I don’t believe we will see either of these 2 Corps with traditional attire and throw back retro shows like this when the DCI judges return in 2022 . 

• Like 1

You wouldn't normally see the Blue Stars with 96 horns. 

Not a criticism at all, but I don't know that I've seen as much risk taking as I thought there might be from anyone. Either playing it safe with retro shows (which I have no problem with whatsoever) or traditionally styled shows that you'd likely see any other year, a handful even in a scaled down version. Boston's video board is the most daring thing I think I've seen. 

• Like 4

Like others have said, I don't think I've seen anything risky or really new that we otherwise would not see during a normal judged year. Boston's electronic panels are new but the rest of the show feels like something we'd see most years. It's likely scaled back a bit visually. I think Bluecoats are doing what they may have done in 2020. It's a modern show, an act II of their 2019 show. It's probably the most advanced show of all the corps taking part this summer in terms of its construction, visual design and performer responsibilities. The other groups are either giving us old school shows with a slight modern elegance to them, or they are giving us a hybrid traditional design with some modern elements thrown in. 

Overall I think Poppycock hit the nail on the head. no judges meant the corps could perform more traditional concepts and the fans seem to be enjoying it. I have no problems with the modern stuff we've been seeing over the years, but it all comes down to how well you perform and design. I continue to feel that the Blue Devils and Bluecoats have a good understanding on designing and teaching the performance to the more advanced shows. And obviously they attract top tier talent and experience. SCV and Crown do it well too. But like anything in life you tend to want to copy the best, and many corps out there do just that. What we are seeing this year is that some of those corps are realizing that they can be great and fan friendly without being cutting edge. And not everybody needs to be cutting edge. Sometimes you have to find YOUR thing. 

It remains to be seen what we get next season. I know what BD, Bloo, SCV, and Crown will be like because they have proven they can push the boundaries and develop modern shows that still please and compete. My hope is that other corps will compete in their own way. But as for this summer I think it's been fun to see some of the throwback ideas.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

None , except perhaps seeing 2 Corps do tradition based shows with minimal props and music they played before . I enjoyed Cadets and Phantom Regiment , but I have no illusions that they would have done these types of shows here in 2021 if this was scored competition. I don’t believe we will see either of these 2 Corps with traditional attire and throw back retro shows like this when the DCI judges return in 2022 . 

Agreed. I feel that Cadets and Phantom have the most nostalgic and enjoyable shows, but I do not think this is the direction for 2022. Personally, I want Cadets more aggressive with NO nostalgia next year. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Poppycock said:

My list! 
1. Actually marching design forms vs fluttering from one set to another, ring around the Rosie around poorly made props, striking poses, and then pushing props around the field. 

2. Playing music that is recognizable and toe tapping entertaining vs brass acrobatics or obscure and boring.

3. More tailor looking costumes vs annoying silly ill fitting theme costumes.

4. More unison guard equipment work vs staged individual tosses, dancing and acrobatics. 

great list - I would add Not being afraid OF WHITE

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Agreed. I feel that Cadets and Phantom have the most nostalgic and enjoyable shows, but I do not think this is the direction for 2022. Personally, I want Cadets more aggressive with NO nostalgia next year. 

YUP