Jump to content

2021 Design Question


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Agreed. I feel that Cadets and Phantom have the most nostalgic and enjoyable shows, but I do not think this is the direction for 2022. Personally, I want Cadets more aggressive with NO nostalgia next year. 

I agree.  I believe the show design (especially the return of the traditional uniform) likely helped retain some members who otherwise may have chosen to join one of the "cool corps"

It's about creating unity of purpose for the future.  This season presented The Cadets with the unique opportunity to craft a show for the alumni and fans that acknowledges past achievements and sets a course of excellence for the future.   Denise explicitly states this in the narration at the start of Far and Away.

After the 2019 season, I seem to remember a fair number of folks who wondered if The Cadets had the means to field another corps.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ykw said:

I agree.  I believe the show design (especially the return of the traditional uniform) likely helped retain some members who otherwise may have chosen to join one of the "cool corps"

It's about creating unity of purpose for the future.  This season presented The Cadets with the unique opportunity to craft a show for the alumni and fans that acknowledges past achievements and sets a course of excellence for the future.   Denise explicitly states this in the narration at the start of Far and Away.

After the 2019 season, I seem to remember a fair number of folks who wondered if The Cadets had the means to field another corps.

One thing is for sure: The quality, design, and fan reaction to this Amazing Cadets show will certainly boost recruiting for 2022. That's a big deal. I hope they stay in the Maroon and Gold uni, but I agree they will need to push onto new material as far as music and show design are concerned. On the other hand, however, the strong fan reactions to that style of show design will definitely influence designers. Competition is great but also giving the fans that emotional rush and goosebumps is important. I do not think the Cadets need to emulate Blue Devils or Bluecoats. They need to create their own thing. 

Despite the complexities of shows like the Bluecoats and Boston, I feel The Cadets and Phantom definitely have the two fan favorite shows of the summer from what I can tell. They are certainly my favorite two shows. But I will gladly admit that I am older and grew up watching 80s and 90s drum corps. I can't speak for the younger generation, nor would I want to. They have every right to enjoy the new stuff...and I enjoy it too. But when it comes to traditional drill writing that Cadets uniform is just so iconic and beautiful to watch on the field. It's such a great look. I know costumes and altered uniforms are the "IN" thing, but for the Cadets I don't know how you move away from that iconic look. If it was me I would march the traditional uni once every other year, and do something more modern the next year. This way fans get a little of both. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Poppycock said:

My list! 
1. Actually marching design forms vs fluttering from one set to another, ring around the Rosie around poorly made props, striking poses, and then pushing props around the field. 

2. Playing music that is recognizable and toe tapping entertaining vs brass acrobatics or obscure and boring.

3. More tailor looking costumes vs annoying silly ill fitting theme costumes.

4. More unison guard equipment work vs staged individual tosses, dancing and acrobatics. 

I'll second the "toe tapping" music:   :spitting: 

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

Now that we have been able to see shows, who is taking advantage of the non-judged year by doing things that normally wouldn’t be done in a judged year?  

What are some things that are being done that will be unique to 2021?

Boston testing the video screens to see if the logistics of them throughout the day and during the show are worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Boston testing the video screens to see if the logistics of them throughout the day and during the show are worth it.

Not to mention the logistics of a vehicle to move them (which needs fuel, Insurance, and drivers (which require billeting (and feeding)).  Plus additional power (bigger generator, or a second generator).  

As I am not a fan of the Drum Corps Arms Race, perpetrated by the Music-Industrial Complex, I would suggest that Phantoms 'bicycle racks' are the ideal prop.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's my feeling on Boston's use of the screens this year.  It's a test run.  I have no doubt they're going to use them next year and they're going to be used much more effectively. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

That's my feeling on Boston's use of the screens this year.  It's a test run.  I have no doubt they're going to use them next year and they're going to be used much more effectively. 

Agree. Other corps will use that type of technology in some way as well. I will be surprised if the Bluecoats do not use something like those panels in the next year or two. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice rotation at the end there to hit the triangle. That was some impressive marching by the Colt Cadets. Nice playing too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Madison Scouts coming on the field now. Love the uniform! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...