2021 Design Question

Wrong thread. Sorry. 

Edited by jwillis35

On 8/4/2021 at 7:08 PM, 2000Cadet said:

Agreed. I feel that Cadets and Phantom have the most nostalgic and enjoyable shows, but I do not think this is the direction for 2022. Personally, I want Cadets more aggressive with NO nostalgia next year. 

I love the show this year, and it’s exactly what is needed.  But I agree that Cadets need to be aggressive with no nostalgia next year.  

Now, the big question is, should they keep THE UNIFORM?  To me, they should keep it.  It’s part of their identity.  Doing an innovative and aggressive show with THAT uniform is part of what makes it so iconic.  The old argument that they cannot move with that uniform has clearly been debunked, as far as I’m concerned.  Modern fabrics allow much wider range of movement than the old wool.

• Like 1

Boy has this show come a long way. Great job tonight Scouts! I really enjoyed that. They are marching some serious drill throughout and a lot of the body movement works really well, too. I love how they took some classical music and reimagined the style in a Latin-Jazz way and the through some short snippets of old Madison favorites. Very entertaining. The color in the guard was fantastic. Big field usage for horns and guard.

EDIT: Sorry, this was for the show thread for Dekalb.  

Edited by jwillis35

Just now, jwillis35 said:

Sorry, wrong thread.

49 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

That's my feeling on Boston's use of the screens this year.  It's a test run.  I have no doubt they're going to use them next year and they're going to be used much more effectively. 

We’ll see.  This year because of what it is and where shows are (fields) this is able to be done.  However, it still requires an enormous effort and logistics working in your favor.  It takes time to set up. 4 minutes between corps is not enough time.  Here are some things people aren’t aware of.  A cable for a screen weighs in at 100 pounds.  The generator weighs 12,000 pounds.  So a truck, not a golf cart or atv, has to pull it.  It needs to be very close to the field.  Stadium entry is a concern; Allentown hill, LOS ramps will be a challenge. The screens are difficult to roll on turn.  May be impossible on grass.

on the plus side, the content can be fantastic; pre recorded or live.  It can be changed simply.  There is a lot of pluses in that regard, but the reality of logistics and performance production creates a lot of opportunity, sic challenges.  Boston should be applauded for the effort to “test drive” this.  And for those who are distracted…don’t watch the video and just watch the smoking guard and listen to the killer brass line.  And percussion is xxxxxxx good too.

all in all everyone’s show is amazing this year.  Glad this was able to happen.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Tommeee said:

I love the show this year, and it’s exactly what is needed.  But I agree that Cadets need to be aggressive with no nostalgia next year.  

Now, the big question is, should they keep THE UNIFORM?  To me, they should keep it.  It’s part of their identity.  Doing an innovative and aggressive show with THAT uniform is part of what makes it so iconic.  The old argument that they cannot move with that uniform has clearly been debunked, as far as I’m concerned.  Modern fabrics allow much wider range of movement than the old wool.

Yeah and I don't even think those uniforms are made from wool anymore. Certainly if they want to keep that uniform with all that's done nowadays with all the movement, I'm sure it's possible to make it from something stretchy.