How About Some Show Reviews?

I miss the in length reviews that people used to do. As a kid, I would love to read them in Drum Corps World and Drum Corps News, and they are a lot of fun here on DCP.

Can some people do some longer reviews of the shows remaining for this season either from Flo or if you go live?

Sincerely,

Signed ... The 13 year old version of me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think a lot of people are just so gassed to see drum corps again and the wow factor is very high it's difficult to get into a lot of detail on the show night threads. Everyone just wants to get their immediate thoughts in, sleep on it and then maybe the next day go into more of the small things that make the big picture so nice and welcome. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I think a lot of people are just so gassed to see drum corps again and the wow factor is very high it's difficult to get into a lot of detail on the show night threads. Everyone just wants to get their immediate thoughts in, sleep on it and then maybe the next day go into more of the small things that make the big picture so nice and welcome. 

Agreed. I hope to see some great reviews of all the corps. At least I hope so!

I have not posted anything in depth, just some comments in the show threads on the 2 FLO shows I've been able to see. It would be great to hear more from those who were at the shows live. As I see more I may be able to speak more about the music and design once I know the shows a bit more. I'll definitely be at the Akron, OH show and possibly the Centerville, OH show. 

I was at Cavaliers rehearsal last night 8/4 in Burnsville MN -

I saw them on Friday 7/30 in La Crosse - their show is markedly better since then -- 

Marching/drill is still a bit dirty in areas - but the final drill passage of the closer is stunning.

One thing I don't like about the show is the scat singing during the snare solo as well as the guard soloists in front of the tenors during the tenor feature.

The sound engineering is really good -- from being at rehearsal last night I got to see how they adjust the mic levels for soloists -- it's really cool to see how they can dial in and get levels just right --

Some really good soloist work - 

front line - excellent, very expressive, especially good aux and set players, really enjoyed the synth electric guitar effect - very cool

battery - amazingly clean, you can hear them at all times - not hidden or covered up

horns - very well balanced, excellent in all sections -- 

Visual - I really like how they stay between the platforms on the 30s - drill is compact and keeps you focused - 

The singing at the start of the show made a bit more sense once I figured out what they were singing about - I wish they would have been able to pull off actual singing -- the singing at the start of the closer is very nice - trombone soloist/soli with mello and trumpet is excellent.

Sing sing sing is ok - not as good as 90 Bluecoats - but ok - like I said, the scat singing during the snare solo takes away from what the snares are doing -- 

The final drill and music passage are fantastic!!! The balance between the corps and the electronics is very good -- electronics do not overpower the corps and it sounded good, well balanced, clear, transparent -- just clear loud and incredibly in tune. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tedrick said:

I was at Cavaliers rehearsal last night 8/4 in Burnsville MN -

I saw them on Friday 7/30 in La Crosse - their show is markedly better since then -- 

Marching/drill is still a bit dirty in areas - but the final drill passage of the closer is stunning.

One thing I don't like about the show is the scat singing during the snare solo as well as the guard soloists in front of the tenors during the tenor feature.

The sound engineering is really good -- from being at rehearsal last night I got to see how they adjust the mic levels for soloists -- it's really cool to see how they can dial in and get levels just right --

Some really good soloist work - 

front line - excellent, very expressive, especially good aux and set players, really enjoyed the synth electric guitar effect - very cool

battery - amazingly clean, you can hear them at all times - not hidden or covered up

horns - very well balanced, excellent in all sections -- 

Visual - I really like how they stay between the platforms on the 30s - drill is compact and keeps you focused - 

The singing at the start of the show made a bit more sense once I figured out what they were singing about - I wish they would have been able to pull off actual singing -- the singing at the start of the closer is very nice - trombone soloist/soli with mello and trumpet is excellent.

Sing sing sing is ok - not as good as 90 Bluecoats - but ok - like I said, the scat singing during the snare solo takes away from what the snares are doing -- 

The final drill and music passage are fantastic!!! The balance between the corps and the electronics is very good -- electronics do not overpower the corps and it sounded good, well balanced, clear, transparent -- just clear loud and incredibly in tune. 

GREAT REVIEW!

• Like 1